cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do you get Vodafone to answer your complaint on fraud?

Bertieandbeau
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with my situation.

Someone fraudulently ported my mothers Vodafone contract.

She recieved a text with a PAC code she had not requested..

She called Vodafone (as suggested by Vodafone if it hasn't been requested)

She was told by the fraud team that a PAC code had been requested but assured her nothing to worry about as she had told them it wasn't her.

She lost network the next day, after calling the fraud team back she was told the PAC code had been requested verbally over the phone. Somebody now had control of her phone.

No apology, no empathy, and no instructions on what she should do (she's in her 70's ) 

She is extremely distressed.

She has lost her number, and now has a new one.

I have had two specific questions and neither have been answered. 

1. Why when the account holder has told you that they have not requested the PAC code do you then give it out verbally over the phone.

2. What security questions were asked to allow this to happen.

I've had customer advisors put the phone down on me rather than answer my questions.

A fraudster took control of my mother's account and Vodafone will not explain how this happened.

Shame on you Vodafone. 

Total lack of empathy for a vulnerable elderly customer, who has become so frightened and paranoid that it will happen again. I have had to spend days with her resetting passwords changing mobile numbers with all her utilities banks and cards. No explanation, no apology from you.

How could this happen?

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Any act of fraud causes distress and frustration which is why any business should take this seriously as far as I'm concerned.

Vodafone and protecting-you/reporting-suspected-fraud. 

Fraud-report-form. 

I'm not a Vodafone employee and there is No Account Access via this forum anymore for the Vodafone Social Media Teams to look at the account notes.

However the Account Holder can engage with them via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

I'd suggest Twitter. 

Link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

In the interim the Account Holder can raise a complaint via Complaints. 

" I've had customer advisors put the phone down on me rather than answer my questions. "

This shouldn't happen and both the Agent and Account Holder needs to be polite and courteous at all times. i.e if any one of the parties shout , swear or become aggressive then the calls would be ended.

" 1. Why when the account holder has told you that they have not requested the PAC code do you then give it out verbally over the phone. "

As far as I'm concerned a person has to pass relevant security checks to confirm they are the account holder before a Pac is issued. A Pac can be issued over the phone or by Text message. i.e Cancel-your-account. 

" 2. What security questions were asked to allow this to happen. "

The Security questions would have been what was set up originally and would be an assortment of security questions. Vodafone wouldn't reveal here what they do for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately scammers are very good at what they do and exploit any loophole they can.

One piece of advise I would give is to let the your Bank and any other relevant businesses now what's happening so they know the old number is no longer in your possession and not to act on any instructions via that number anymore.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Bertieandbeau 

Someone somewhere knows enough information about your Mother to contact Vodafone, pass all the data protection questions and request a PAC.  This was also very sneakily done by calling when the PAC would easily been requested by text. The usual reason for this is to set themselves up as a payee through an online bank account, receive the OTP and transfer funds.  

There is no excuse for Vodafone not taking action when the text was received by your Mother confirming if the PAC request was made by the account holder.

Your Mother deserves here number returned, also being a pay monthly account, there is the question of bills for the ported out number your Mother didn't request. It's very sad that this is still happening and there are people around who couldn't care about the distress and invonvenience caused.

If you have full access to the account, the Social Media Team will help or go through the complaints route.

Yes I have authorisation on her account. 

Unfortunately the complaints team have not been able to help.

All they can tell me is what they have put in place to stop it happening in the future. 

The fraud team have not explained how it happened. Or actually what security questions they managed to answer. The PAC code was sent to my mum. The fraudster phoned my mum claiming to be Vodafone saying they needed the code on her phone as there had been a breach of security. My mum didn't and realised it was a scam and phoned Vodafone immediately. So intially the fraudster couldn't get all the information required. As they sent the PAC via text. To then phone back and be given it verbally over the phone is my question, and how this happened when my mum had already called to report what had happened. Absolutely no faith in Vodafone. I've been informed that Vodafone have sent correspondence regards to this. What we have recieved is a welcome to a new plan letter. So, my next argument will be that she's been put on a new contract as her number was ported! She's been informed her bill is likely to be higher this month! Great effort and customer relations Vodafone! How about you penalise your customers further for your own negligence. Bravo.

AnnS

Hi @Bertieandbeau 

As you have been through the complaints route, with Customer Relations being higher in authority, it's unlikely the Social Media Team will be able to help.

I would take this a step further and take this direct to the Communications Ombudsman and let them arbitrate and deal with Vodafone on your behalf.  You don't need a Deadlock letter, you already have sufficient proof of trying to resolve this direct with Vodafone by contacting Customer Relations.

As already mentioned, your Mother deserves here original number returned and not a new plan with a new number.

These scammers, don't care about anyone else, plus this was cowardly done towards an elderly person.

Thank you. 

Yes, I think I've decided the only way to get any closure on this is to contact the ombudsmen.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and emphasise with the situation! One thing we have not had in any shape or form from Vodafone. In situations such as these particularly when it involves the vulnerable. Vodafone really need to up their game on customer relations. 

My parents are completly  out of their depth, paranoid, insecure and have no faith that this is being dealt with for them. It has affected them beyond belief. 

They just want reassurances at they haven't. They've really been let down .

You're very welcome and I do again wish you all the best with this awful situation @Bertieandbeau 

Good luck.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.