cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How long can I wait before I activate a new sim only contract?

Orangutan23
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm not currently with Vodaphone, but I want to order a new sim card on a 12 month contract (https://www.mobiles.co.uk/basket). My current pay monthly sim with another provider runs out in about 3 weeks so I want to time it so there isn't a big overlap with my old contract ending to prevent me from paying for 2 services. If I order the vodaphone sim card now can I wait 2 weeks or so and activate it, or is there a time limit from activating the new sim card? I'm also working under the assumption that I'll start getting charged when it's activated and that's when my monthly billing will occur? There wasn't any detailed info about the plan as I'm getting a deal through a different website (linked above). Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Orangutan23 

The contract will start the day you receive the SIM regardless of the SIM being activated.  The first bill will be received within the first week of joining and will include pro ratered charges. See here for an explanation First Bill 

If you are on a contract, with line rental payable in advance, you would have already paid for the final month.  When you have the new contract follow this link to transfer your number.Keep My Number 

Before setting up an online account or downloading the Application, it is best to wait until the number has ported, saves the problem of the account being with the original number and having to set up a new account for the ported number.  There is further information here: Welcome to Vodafone 

Thanks for clarifying. Do you know soon will I get my first bill (or what is typical)? My main reason for getting this contract is the high data allowance, but I'll be charged a lot of money for data on the pro rata charged. I don't really understand why the contract can't start straight away like with other providers, I've never come across this before.

AnnS

Hi @Orangutan23 

As mentioned in my reply above, the first bill will be received within the first week of joining but you are joining as a third party customer.  Most of the information is in the links, the first bill amount depends on your billing date, to bring you in line with the billing date you are charged extra days up to the billing date and with line rental paid in advance, you are charged one months extra line rental.  When you receive the first bill, just check the dates you have been billed, you will have more than one months line rental.

The contract does indeed immediately start on the day you receive the SIM regardless of whether or not it connects to the network.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It you are out of your minimum term, using a PAC will terminate the contract and stop you paying immediately, you don't pay for the notice period, so get your PAC, get your new Vodafone SIM, test it and use the PAC on the day your existing SIM mimumum term ends.