Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to access MyVodafone when I have no mobile signal

Ted_n4tm
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

How can I log on to the Vodafone web site to access my account when I have no mobile signal?

The web site log-on insists on sending me a "security code" to my mobile phone, but I don't have a mobile signal so can't receive it!

It seems plain daft that loosing the mobile phone signal effectively locks me out of the Vodafone web site...

10 REPLIES 10

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@Ted_n4tm

On some occasion when you do have an adequate phone signal, go to your account, and add some alternative contact numbers to your account. Then you can have the security code sent to one of these numbers instead.

I have exactly the same issue - patchy signal where I live - but I have two alternative contact numbers. one from another network which sometimes has a slightly better signal, the other is my home landline.

If I have to choose the landline, the security code is sent to the voicemail for the home phone, and I can listen to the code. When they first introduced this, the code was spoken as a number - "one hundred and thirteen thousand, five hundred and forty five or whatever - and I really struggled to transcribe it, but now it's spoken as digits, "one, one, three", etc, and that seems fine.

My landline phone does not have voicemail on it.

The only other phone is my wifes mobile, but as that if Vodafone as well, its no help.

Signal is back now, so I tried again. Got the log-on code but but when I entered it the website just reports a javascript error on the server.

Hopeless!

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Can you Try clearing your Browsers Cache and cookies and or use another browser to login. 

That may help. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N

@Ted_n4tm wrote:

Signal is back now, so I tried again. Got the log-on code but but when I entered it the website just reports a javascript error on the server. Hopeless! 

Yes, I've been getting that for nearly a month now! I've found that, by following the advice given here, and closing further error reports if they pop up, I am able to view my account. It seems to be essential to navigate using the column down the left hand side of the page - if I use links from the rest of the page, they don't seem to do anything - the error report recurs, but can be closed again, and then you have to use the LH navigation. If you're logging on from a phone, it's slightly more tricky, as the LH navigation is replaced by drop-downs, but give or take a bit the same applies.

Thorouhly irritating, to put it mildly. A number of people are reporting it, but not big numbers, since it's a stack overflow error, and it presumably only strikes when more than a certain number of other customers are already logged in. I don't understand the assumption that small numbers mean it isn't a real problem - it clearly is a problem, and I'm reasonably sure that looking at the accounts affected isn't going to locate it!

Edited to add: Alas, I've tried clearing cache and cookies, tried different browsers, tried different devices, and none of those seem to make any odds. Trying again at a time when few people will be checking their accounts does seem to work - however, I rather fear that you live in an area of poor signal, and that trying again if you happen to be awake at 3am may not be a very useful suggestion!

I think that sums it up quite nicely.

It's all a mess!

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Ted_n4tm

Do you have a landline as the code can be sent to that. 

That or a Sure Signal device that costs £69 can create a 3g signal in the home as it works off home broadband. 

For some people on eligible contracts and phones then there is also calling over WiFi. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Is there any reason why you wouldn't be using the My Vodafone app?   This has had a lot of functionality added to it recently and I no longer use the website at all.  I can download bills, set bars etc.

(Reasons might include: incompatible device, Business account)

Annie_N

@hrym

I'm afraid that I was working on the quite unjustified assumption that, like me, @Ted_n4tm was a PAYG customer. On the app I can see a certain amount of information, such as my bundle, my remaining allowances and renewal date, but I can't see any history or details of usage; that is available up to the lesser of 600 items or 90 days via my account. The only true functionality I have via the app is to top up - that is somewhat cumbersome, and bizarrely requires me to prove that I'm not a machine if I use it for a top up voucher.

So PAYG customers definitely need reasonably regular access to their accounts to understand what is going on. 

hrym

You may be right, @Annie_N. There's actually no information here. Not being familiar with the intricacies of PAYG, I tend to forget that the app isn't as useful as it is for PAYM.

As regards the login error, I've seen that and it needed a reset by CS to clear it.