cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to enable Data Bar whilst abroad outside UK + Roam Free destinations?

harry66
4: Newbie

Hi,

I want to enable Roaming Data bar whenever it would cost me - i.e. outside the Roam Free regions

I log into my account and go into "Services and Extras"->Roaming option.

But I only see an option for  'Data while abroad bar' - which says 'stop data being used while you're outside UK'.

Which seems a silly since all contracts have 'Vodafone Global roaming' which allows free data in the 50 RoamFree destinations.

So, how I do bar data usage only when outside the UK and RoamFree regions?

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Usually the options in your myvodafone would help and caps on relevant contracts too. 

Or turn off Mobile Data in the phone which would stop that connection. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw

Hi @harry66 I am not sure the system will allow what you want, you may have to wait for one of the social media team here to get to your post, I dont think livechat will be able to help with your question !

Yeah - thanks.

I guess I will have to wait for the Vodafone Experts to reply.

I tried Live Chat and the support guy is clueless - he does not seem to understand the difference between Data Cap and Data bar - lol

Just spent the last 20 minutes going round in circles. I can't actually tell if the guy is being unbelievably thick or just bored and taking the mickey?

I suspect I will just have to disable data when outside the RoamFree areas.

The truth is they need to change the system to allow the option to enable Roaming Data Bar outside the Free areas.

T_Scarface_M
16: Advanced member

Hi Harry,

You can only turn the DATA ROAMING BAR on or off. There is no other option.

If you are within the 50 Roam Free countires then you can use your UK allowance as normal.

In the other 60 Roam Further countries it is a charge of £6 per day to use your UK allowance.

If you don't wish to be charged outside the 50 Roam Free countries then I would suggest to turn off Data on your mobile phone or alternately just put the Data Roaming Bar on.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the replies.

So, can someone from Vodafone explain what the point of the Roaming Data Bar facility is?

Maybe I am being thick and missing some point,  but why would anyone want to put a Bar on Roaming when outside the UK but yet still within the RoamFree areas? Surely it would be pointless since you can use your inclusive data for free in those areas anyway?

The only usefull Roaming data bar function I can think of would be if you could enable it for any non-Free areas ie.g. the Roam Further areas.

I suspect this is a case of Vodafone systems not keeping up with the EU roaming  policy / RoamFree feature.

T_Scarface_M

Hi Harry,

The purpose is so that you know you are safe from going over your limit whilst abroad. I don't know what kind of Data package you have but if like me you have a high amount it wouldn't really make a difference to us. But if you only have a small amount of data i.e. 1GB or soemthing like that. If you go over it you will then be charged per MB of data. Which as youre abroad it can accumulate to a big bill.

So I agree, it would make sense to give more options but for now it does only look like that one option. Either Bar or Unbar the Data Roaming.

I realise you are trying to be helpful but your reply does not make any sense - or perhaps you are making the same mistake the LiveChat person made - there is a difference between Roaming Data Bar and Data Cap.

Data Cap limits the amount of data you can use - and therefore ensuring you dont exceed your allowance.

Bar stops you using any data at all whilst roaming.

Getafix

The Roaming Bar has been a functionality that was before Free Roaming was introduced.

Network were required to have this. Previously it was a maximum Capped amount (around £35) you could be charged. This was replaced by a CapBar when they introduced the Euro/World Traveller.

So looks like they have not changed it since.

Hence for now it is either off or on.

And just for info, it is same for Calls too.:Winking_smiley:

T_Scarface_M

Hi Harry,

I do know the difference between the Data Roaming Bar and Data Cap, I'm sorry if my previous message came across incorrect.

You asked... can someone from Vodafone explain what the point of the Roaming Data Bar facility is?

I believe an answer to that question would be if you go over your data allowance in the roam free or roam further destinations you will be charged. That's a reason I'd imagine people would enable the Data Roaming Bar. 

As Getafix explained already only option at the moment is to either bar or unbar, it may change in future. Who knows?

If you have Data Cap on then yes you are correct you can't exceed the limit. However most people do not have a data cap on their accounts as it's something you must opt into having as Vodafone will not add it automatically.