cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I feel I am being harrassed by vodafone.

JaneWess
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Having decided to change my provider as a result of a 40% increase at the end of a contract, I phoned Vodafone to ask for a PAC number. After 40 mins or so they provided a wrong number. Therefore I had to change phone number when I changed supplier as I was not willing to repeat the process. There seemed to be no way of contacting Vodafone other than by phone, which had been time-consuming and unproductive, so I simply cancelled my direct debit and threw away my old SIM card. I subsequently got threatening letters (several) saying my credit score would be damaged and they would take me to court. They have admitted I phoned and was given the PAC number which I did not use. They tried to contact me by phone but of course that phone was no longer in use. They asked me to contact them by phone but as they were threatening to sue I wanted everything in writing. They claimed they needed my passport details and bank details in order to address my complaint, so I withdrew it. The nasty leters continue. What should I do?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

chistery
16: Advanced member

I'm sorry but if you owe them money then they are entitled to try and get it back. You can't just cancel a contract by stopping the direct debit and throwing the SIM away.

This will go on your credit record and  cause you more problems unless you sort it.

Contact Vodafone and pay what you owe is my advice. They should be polite in their dealings with you, but they won't stop until you pay or the debt is sold on, which will be even worse for you.

WelshPaul

As above, you cannot just cancel a direct debit and throw away a sim card and consider the matter closed!

If you don't use a PAC number then your contract and service with Vodafone will not end and you must provide Vodafone with 30 days notice to cease service. FYI - You don't need to phone your network provider to obtain a PAC number. Simply text 'PAC' to 65075 and you will receive your PAC shortly after via text message.

You need to contact Vodafone, pay any outstanding charges and provide them with 30 days notice otherwise your going to have ruined your credit report and you will be chased for the debt!

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @JaneWess 

Not good that the wrong Pac was given however as your in an agreement with Vodafone which does not stop after the full contractual term is reached then a person has to either give 30 days notice to end the contract, or ask for a Pac / Stac which stops the contract as soon as this is given to the new provider.

More in cancel-your-account. 

A person can send a text to Vodafone for a Pac.

See the information in the link please.

Please contact Vodafone ASAP via 0333 304191 or Live Chat,  or the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Twitter or Facebook Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries to get this sorted and to potentially stop recovery action and in the extreme a 6 year default being placed on your Credit File.

When this is all sorted I would recommend checking your Credit File anyway just to make sure no negative marker has been placed.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for a very helpful answer. Not being savvy technically I had not heard of a PAC STAC or knew that you can send vodafone a text. They had sent me one saying they were sorry to see me go, so they did seem to have registered that I wanted to leave. However I don't have that text my phone any more as I don't have that SIM card any more. It seems odd that I have a contract with vodafone so I have to keep paying, but they said my contract had ended so they could put up my monthly payment by 40%.

Many thanks again, Jane

WelshPaul

@JaneWess wrote:

They had sent me one saying they were sorry to see me go, so they did seem to have registered that I wanted to leave.

That text was probably sent after they manually issued a PAC as requested via your phone call. If you don't use the PAC then the contract continues because issuing a PAC in itself doesn't cancel a contract.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @JaneWess 

Let us know how you get on Jane please.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @JaneWess, I'm really sorry to hear about this experience you had trying to port out your number.  As @BandOfBrothers suggested, we'd recommend that you reach out to us via Social Media here if you'd like to discuss the account further 👍