Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

I found my old phone but I've been sent a replacement, Am I allowed to use both

riri87
1: Seeker

So basically, I went on holiday, lost my samsung s7 abroad and I asked my friends if they could find it and they couldn't. After a few weeks of looking, I assumed it was lost and reported it so I could get my replacement phone. A few years later, the phone turns up in a friends suitcase (we have the same suitcase so that's why the mistake was made).

The IMEI is blacklisted and I was wondering what I should do with it. I want to use it but I don't want to get in trouble. Can I get the phone whitelisted? Would I have to pay more?

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @riri87 

If you made an insurance claim for the lost phone, the problem you will now have is with the blacklisting the phone will now be the property of the insurance company and they may appreciate being able to adjust their losses.  

If you contact the insurance company and let them know they will be able to advise further but as it has been a couple of years and as the phone is now the property of the insurance company and since the insurers have settled the claim and replaced the phone, the blacklisting cannot be removed by you it may be best forgotten.

BandOfBrothers

I can only relate to my own experience @riri87 

I once had a hand held console stolen from my son while he was outdoors.

I claimed on my insurance and paid the excess fee for a new one.

The handheld console was then recovered a while down the line. 

I contacted my insurance company and they advised I had paid the excess fee and as such that was the end of the claim.

I assume you've paid an excess fee too.

Let the insurance company know and your intention to have the imei bar removed. 

I personally think they'll not be wanting the found phone.

Vodafone should lift the imei bar on request from you.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I bet your friend was surprised when he found your phone two years later @riri87 😆 Did you claim on your insurance through Vodafone directly, or through a third party? 

It's definitely best to get in touch either way and ask for advise - keep me updated and let me know what they say.