Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Increase due to Inflation.

Getafix
16: Advanced member

How can Vodafone increase your price plan under inflation, but continue selling the same tariff at the old price?

10 REPLIES 10

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Getafix -  This is due to when a contract is already in place, it’s active and in use.

The deals you see advertised, aren’t active yet. Therefore, inflation doesn’t come into it at that point.

Getafix

I am not talking about Discounted Tariffs.

8GB With Entertainment SIM Only is £27 current Tariff.

I had same Tariff but in April17 it went upto £27.86.

So question is why increase in my Tariff, while Vodafone continues to sell same Tariff?

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Getafix As mentioned by @Gemma, the RPI increase only applies to contracts which are in use.

Our plans are sold at a set price which is subject to change, but the price they're advertised at will not increase due to RPI as they're not yet purchased and in use.

Once a customer purchases the plan, this then is subject to the RPI increase, as reflected in our Ts&Cs.

chistery

It's another way to rip off a customer.

I think if you agree a price for a set period, that should be the price you pay, until the minimum term expires.

Then MNOs got greedy and tried to increase prices and realised it was illegal, so now it's added in the T&Cs and it's allowed.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Unfortunately mobile phone contracts have never been fixed price arrangements. Ofcom did clamp down on mid term price rises which is why all of the networks now have the authority to levy such rises in their T&Cs. Personally, I agree that it's a bad practice and should not be happening.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Getafix

I have contacted ofcom, and they are looking into it.

This is an Unfair Practice. They cannot have the cake and eat it.

Either they allow customers to change Tariff or they increase it for new Customers too.

ewanrw
11: Established
11: Established

Didn't all this get covered off with the new Ofcom regulations in 2014?

And I could be wrong, but Ofcom don't investigate individual complaints.

ewan

jeffkinn

You are right and @Getafix will know that. The Communications Ombudsman would be the appropriate body to complain to.

It was indeed all covered and unfortunately Vodafone is well within its right to do what it's doing and there are no grounds for a complaint. It might not be good business but it is well within the rules that we have all agreed to.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Getafix

Actually, contacted both, and both acknowledged and said will look into it.

Even contacted Trading Standards, as it is Unfair Practice to charge two different prices for same products just beacuse one is bound by a contract.

Will post once I get any response.