cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is the data download speed capped on a Red Extra plan?

1979Damian
4: Newbie

Hi all, I've got a Mate 20 Pro on a "Red Extra" contract, I've never been happy with the cellular performance but because browsing was just about usable it was never bad enough for me to have the hassle of raising it with VF.  (I'm generally not a massive data user and haven't needed to stream HD video over cellular etc).

However, I've recently started to use my phone as a 4G hot spot and even when I'm in a 5 bar 4G signal area (see attached screenshots) I'm barely getting 2Mbps download speed.  I know some of Vodafone's tariffs have speed caps of either 2Mbps or 10Mbps but the only solid info I can find on the VF site relates to the latest "Unlimited" tariffs.

Does anyone happen to know whether the older "Red Extra" tariffs have a download speed cap and if so, at what speed the cap is set at?

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @1979Damian 

No.

I'm also going from the same Vodafone Tariff pages you've looked at.

The cap you mention on the unlimited option is the one I'm aware of.

A similar thread > Pay-monthly/SIM-only-Red-data-download-speeds. 

Do these speeds happen in one place or everywhere you go  ?

i.e if you go to a different area and run a speed test are they different  ?

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in another phone  ?

Sometimes the phone can be the issue.

Using the Ookla Speedtest.net app or browser version can you just please check again.

Vodafone have a tips and template thread for you to use and post back the template here with your answers so the Vodafone Social Media Teams can take a look >Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template. 

Live Chat  , 191 or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries can check your account.

If you opt to use Social Media then I'd suggest Twitter and link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.