main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay monthly

London Underground WiFI

SOLVED
View solved solution
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have the same issue, recently got new monthly contract and upgraded to new phone, Wi-Fi worked on the underground before, just automatically connected, now I cannot connect at all.

Why are potential solutions being sent by private message rather than in public posts in this thread so we can try the solutions?

Matt

View more options
3: Seeker

As far as I can tell nothing of use is being sent in private messages. We’re just being put into the support system and given no real help.

View more options

There are no solutions being provided by the private message, they just want you to complain direct, then they just fob you off

View more options
4: Newbie

Vodafone have always used the 'send us a private message' trick when they want to hide the scale of an issue/problem with their services, like the London underground Wi-Fi not working. 

Vodafone have done this to me before when I transferred my mobile from my previous  provider and they lost my number for three weeks during which time I couldn't make or take any phone calls/texts.  I was told by Vodafone customer services that this was just an issue that had affected me and was very rare.  I then turned on the telly and there's Vodafone on Watchdog finally admitting that the issue that was just affecting me was actually a network wide issue and affected anyone unfortunate enough to be joining the Vodafone network.

View more options

Just realised it worked fine on my iPhone 7 on Sat so it is definitely the move to a new iPhone XS that has stopped it working for me, same SIM and plan.  Tried again this morning and still not working if I try to connect it asks for a user/pass (my VF one doesn’t work) it used to just connect automatically.

View more options

And now magically on the tube this afternoon it has started working automatically again, shrug.

View more options

@EdLykna wrote:

As far as I can tell nothing of use is being sent in private messages. We’re just being put into the support system and given no real help.

Shhh, you've just revealed Vodafone's core business model and not through a private message 😲

View more options

@EdLykna - We don’t want you to feel this way! We’re trying to help and for us to continue, please reply to the last email we sent on 27 November.

@mod100 – I’m glad to hear it’s working again! If you need any further help in the future, then please let us know.

@hamwedges– It’s not good to hear you feel like this. Please reply to the email from us on 1 December. We can then continue to help.

View more options

@Gemma from Vodafone - what about the rest of us that have repsonded to Vodafone's last email and have heard nothing back.  What should we do (please keep it clean!)

View more options

I posted a long post on here relating my (frustrating) support experience, but it's been modded out of existence despite being pretty polite.  Not even had a message to explain why.

View more options

@Gemma I've replied to that message - and many others.

To catalogue the support I've recieved (names removed - maybe that's why they keep deleting this post?)

• 23rd November: I put in a ticket
  • 27th November: I got a reply from Support Person 1, asking me to install the Vodafone App (I already had) and iOS 12.1 (I already had) and asking me to go through some security verification via a PIN. I replied within half an hour confirming this an the PIN.
  • 30th November: I got thanked for the PIN by Support Person 2, who told me it might just be that new phones take a while to get added and said he'd send me a form to fill in.
  • 30th November: Support Person 3 sent me the form to fill in asking for my name, email, phone number, where the issue happened, my device, OS etc. The form seemed to be written in such a way that it looked like the support team should fill it in, not the customer, but I did it anyway. Much of the information you'd already know. I sent it back about an hour later.
  • 2nd December: I get an email from Support Person 4 telling me that it's normal to get asked for a username and password (it isn't) and that I should use my Vodafone account details. I replied 5 minutes later telling her it wasn't normal - and that it was the iPhone OS's password prompt I was seeing, not the one on the Virgin Media system.
  • 3rd December: I get a reply from Support Person 4 (same person, for the first time!) telling me that I'm trying to use the Virgin Media Wifi which Vodafone no longer uses. Clearly she didn't read my previous email which was quite explicit on that. I replied sending a screenshot of the error I was getting and reitterated that I wasn't connecting to Virgin's wifi.
  • 4th December: I get a reply from Support Person 5 thanking me for the screenshot and asking what error I'm getting. I've already explained that it tells me the username and password is incorrect. They also ask what make and model of device I have - which I've already told them twice now! I send back a frustrated email and a link to this thread.
  • 5th December: I get a reply from Support Person 6 telling me to: 1) Use Vodafone Wifi not Virgin (!!!) 2) Log into the App (already told them I've done this!) 3) Ensure my device is up to date (already told them it is!) 4) Do a network reset (already told them I tried that!)
  • 6th December: I get a reply from Support Person 7 telling me that the engineers can see that I've connected to the Underground wifi 'today'. Given that I've been at home Tuesday - Friday this week, this isn't likely.

So basically it's been a pretty bad experience being passed between people trying to get support. I've been contacted by 7 people over about 2 weeks. Mostly they've just pasted things from a script at me, mostly not reading what I've sent before. Hardly makes me feel like a valued customer - I've been with Vodafone for about 10 years!

I'm sure individually these people are trying to do a good job, but as a customer being passed around a support team with days between replies makes a leads to a pretty shoddy experience.

View more options

It really is appalling.  This is why I left Vodafone years ago because their customer service was/is so abysmal.

I had to rejoin them again recently though (long story) but will going back to O2 in a year.

As I mentioned before, I did manage to get back on to the Underground wifi, either because I installed an (unsigned) profile I found on another forum, or because something got fixed somewhere - I'm not sure - but it's the Virgin wifi I can connect to, not Vodafone, so that's odd....

I hope someone can resolve this ASAP.  It's very clear that CS and the mods here have no clue and are not interested in helping at all.

View more options

@envsf03 – So we can trace your email, please post back with the email reference from the auto reply (#123456).

@EdLykna-  I’m disappointed to read what’s happening. I’ve searched for your email via the address you’ve registered to the Community with again and it’s only showing our last reply from 27 November. If you’ve another email chain, please let us know the reference from the auto reply (it looks like #123456).

@MattyBur - We don’t want to lose you as a customer, or to feel like we don’t want to help. So we can check your account, please get in touch by following the steps in this private message.

View more options

Just to update everyone - things started working for me. It took about two weeks - and I've no idea if anything was done on the 'backend' but it does now seem to work.

Perhaps it was just a matter of patience, perhaps someone had to prod something. Either way, I'm happy with the result, but the support process was pretty poor - with days between each message and a different person each time - and wasted a fair bit of my time writing emails (and ranty threads on here!)

View more options

All,

I’ve been a Vodafone customer for a good few years - left and came back.

A couple of weeks ago I moved from a monthly SIM-only contract to annual one.  In the process I lost my access to the wifi on the London Underground.  I got the ‘As a pre-pay customer you need an active data bundle Please call 191’ message.  After four calls to the Vodafone support team and trying the technical suggestion given in this thread - moving from Virgin Media Wifi to Vodafone Wifi and changing the EAP Method to SIM - it’s finally been resolved.  For me, it wasn’t a technical issue.  Rather, in the change of contract, ‘wifi assist/wifi calling’ was removed.  Once that was added back onto my account, I was able to connect using the Virgin Media Wifi, as before, without issue.

I hope the above helps prevent someone else spending the hours I did on resolving this issue.

Best,
Richard

View more options

@Gemma_from_Vodafone - I really don't see the point in doing this yet again Gemma.  I have sent the information you have request numerous times to numerous of your colleagues without any response from Vodafone.

I’m now bored with taking part in this Vodafone pantomim - it's seems that Vodafone always put their customers behind them and never first.

View more options

@envsf03 We don't want you to feel this way as we do want to help with resolving things for you. 
I've taken a look into this for you and can see that the last email we received from the email address registered to your Community profile was on 19 November. We then replied to this on 20 November under reference #19914937.

If you change your mind, so we can assist with your query please respond to our latest email.

View more options

Can’t log on to VodafoneWiFi with my My Vodafone username and password on ny iPhone X. Your colleague said he fixed something in the backend and yes after that the VodafoneWiFi started to ask username/password. But my username and password is not accepted although I’m 100% sure that I’m entering them correctly. 

View more options

I'm having a similar problem on the underground. After my Huawei updated to Android 9 (maybe a coincidence) the phone tries and fails to connect to Vodafone WiFi. Problem is I can't stop it constantly trying to connect! I can't delete Vodafone WiFi from the saved network list nor can I change any settings. This prevents the phone connecting to Virgin Media WiFi instead. How can this have taken over my phone so I can't even stop it or delete it ! Sure I'd prefer Vodafone WiFi to work as it connects automatically without login as needed for Virgin Media WiFi. But if it doesn't work  I'd rather just delete it and stop it trying to connect and preventing auto connect to Virgin. I saw in the post something about changing EAP settings to EAP-AKA or EAP-SIM but I have no idea where this is done, or if that would help . Any help appreciated . 

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you're both having problems accessing our WiFi service whilst using the London Underground @Bullerd1 and @ardasaydam. We'll be happy to help get this sorted for you. As we'll access to your accounts to do this, please contact us by following the instructions in the private message I've sent you.

View more options