Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Longer texts?

isdoo
9: Established

I thought that if a text was longer than 160 characters , the mobile phone company simply sends it as 2 or 3 texts?

Over 3 then it is converted to a MMS which costs money (no idea how much)

Am I correct in my thinking? 

Vodafone are telling me that it is impossible to send a text longer than 160 characters. 

What happens is that my phone says that my text has failed, when in fact it has been sent. 

Could someone please confirm with me what is correct as I have never had issues before in the last 30 years or so!

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @isdoo 

If you are sending a message over 160 characters, most smartphones automatically convert the message to MMS.  Take a look at pay monthly extra's here:  Vodafone Extra's  where you can add unlimited picture messages (MMS) for £2.50 per month.

Alternatively, use WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger etc.

isdoo
9: Established

It must be something new then as previously it has always sent as 2 or 3 texts - you used to then get a message to say after 3 it would go to a MMS

AnnS

Hi @isdoo 

That used to be the case with some networks but as far as is know all messages over 160 characters automatically convert to MMS. Your phone should let you know when the full 160 characters have been written. As a workaround you can split the message into 2 , 3 or ever 4 parts.

Also, take a look at this link from Vodafone, you can send messages using a data connection:  Messaging Features