Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MMS Charges

Itzzzmee
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Why are Vodafone charging for MMS ? These use data and therefore should come from our data allowance. Is this...

A - Rip off otherwise happy customers

B - Hidden Charges ( We All love those don't we ) 

C - A. and B

I would love for someone to come up with a valid reason in their defence. Can't see one myself 

24 REPLIES 24

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi, there are lots of ways these days to send pictures etc without using MMS, WhatsApp or Imessage, emails, can you not use another method?

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Itzzzmee

Welcome to the eforum. 

I understand the points you've raised. 

I think most people are aware that MMS messages are not part of their texting allowances but are not aware what can convert a text message into a MMS which is where the confusion can lie. 

This is one of the reasons I use the iPhone and use iMessage to other iPhone users. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your response

Using iMessage is great IF the recipient is an IOS user.

What gets me is if MMS uses data then it should be part of that bundle. I see no justification for charging for a differently labeled bit of data. 

No matter how you put it it is a blatant rip off. 

Assuming Imy recipient is not an IOS user and not necessarily a smart phone what is my alternative. This further pi**es me off when even where data is non existent Vodafone finds a way to get the money making MMS out. 

jeffkinn

Your alternative is not to send them a photo by text. Like everything else in life, if the price doesn't suit you don't buy it or use the service.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Your a man for stating the obvious I see but not actually getting the point. It's not an issue of affordability it's simply a question I have raised.

jeffkinn

What is obvious is that there is no morality at stake here. This isn't a monpoly charging an unaffordable amount for a basic commodity that everyone needs. It isn't life or death. It's a service that is probably not used by many people these days and for which all the networks feel they can charge a premium.

Is the price charged by 118 118 immoral? Are the prices Apple charge immoral? Of course they aren't.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

Interestingly, long ago and far away, I had a contract that gave me an inclusive value that was split between MMS and data, though you never quite knew where you were until the bill arrived (as a light user I always managed to stay within the limit).  Online management wasn't on the cards then.  As @63johnw said, all networks charge for MMS, so it's not as if you don't know where you are.

MMS is one of those anachronisms that's a hangover from the days before widepread internet use.   When they were introduced, they were the easiest way to send pictures.   Now you've got WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter or simply good old-fashioned* email. :smileywink:

* And how quickly has email gone from cutting-edge to old-fashioned?!

63johnw
Just had a quick look and other networks still charge for MMS too.

MMS are free in France with free.fr