Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MMS Charges

Itzzzmee
3: Seeker

Why are Vodafone charging for MMS ? These use data and therefore should come from our data allowance. Is this...

A - Rip off otherwise happy customers

B - Hidden Charges ( We All love those don't we ) 

C - A. and B

I would love for someone to come up with a valid reason in their defence. Can't see one myself 

24 REPLIES 24

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

@Itzzzmee wrote:

Why are Vodafone charging for MMS ? These use data and therefore should come from our data allowance. Is this...

A - Rip off otherwise happy customers

B - Hidden Charges ( We All love those don't we ) 

C - A. and C

I would love for someone to come up with a valid reason in their defence. Can't see one myself 

A - charges are published and in the public arena

B - charges are published and in the public arena

C - A and B

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

My issue isn't whether it's in the public arena it's that it is morally wrong . Furthermore it's kept very quiet when your being sold a package. Why can't companies be more upfront rather than hide detail in a field of jargon and bull. 

No matter how I see it it's wrong.

i am not tied to Vodafone oats I purchased my 6S Ooutright. Vodafone would retain more customers if they were upfront. 

BandOfBrothers

Quite correct about iMessage. 

If i wish to send pictures to a non iPhone user then I use email or Facebook messenger. 

I appteciate what your saying about MMS.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

ElaineParry
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I find Viber is super-fast for sending photos and works on all phones - iOS, Android and Windows.

jeffkinn

I've got Viber - had it for years - but never use it. Whatsapp and iMessage are the apps I use.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Stevemcg84
1: Seeker

Jeffkin - a member has posted on this forum with a genuine question and to say charging for mms in addition to data, which is one in the same, is ridiculous. I happen to agree with this sentiment.

[ADMIN EDIT: This post has been edited to remove  please seeCommunity Guidelines]

Itzzzmee
Times moved on but still not everyone has got the message, for those that are technically ok then yeah there are alternatives to MMS all mentioned above. The fact still remains that someone innocently sending a text message that gets a bit lengthy converts itself into a MMS and as such a charge is levied. I have in the past used devices that break the message into chunks and send as SMS but not everyone knows that or has that facility furthermore. I have also had a bundle in the past that counts a MMS as four SMS and as a result incurs no charge unless the SMS allowance was exceeded so still I ask WHAT IS THE JUSTIFICATION IN CHARGING ?

Itzzzmee
I tried to bestvanswer Stevemcg84 but unfortunately the page refreshed as I pressed the screen sorry Stevemcg84

BandOfBrothers

@Itzzzmee

If a person wrongly chooses the 'best answer' they should be able to go into options tab and choose Not the Answer so that you can then choose the best answer you believe. 

Going from my earlier post when I used an iPhone 6 Plus I now use a Samsung s7 edge which warns me via a pop up message if my SMS is about to be converted to a mms message. 

Dependent on phone settings it's a feature that can be turned on.

There may also be alternative texting apps available via the App Store that has this feature if the baked in text app hasn't. 

In regards to charges my personal thoughts are that the texting system should be revamped by all the Networks to bring it all in line with today's type of usage and drop this charging. It wouldn't be a popular train of thought due to the revenue the Networks make. 

Back in the early days when texting was a new feature people invariably wanted more to be able to send rich content so Mms was born and as such so was the premium costing. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

@Itzzzmee

If a person wrongly chooses the 'best answer' they should be able to go into options tab and choose Not the Answer so that you can then choose the best answer you believe. 

Going from my earlier post when I used an iPhone 6 Plus I now use a Samsung s7 edge which warns me via a pop up message if my SMS is about to be converted to a mms message. 

Dependent on phone settings it's a feature that can be turned on.

There may also be alternative texting apps available via the App Store that has this feature if the baked in text app hasn't. 

In regards to charges my personal thoughts are that the texting system should be revamped by all the Networks to bring it all in line with today's type of usage and drop this charging. It wouldn't be a popular train of thought due to the revenue the Networks make. 

Back in the early days when texting was a new feature people invariably wanted more to be able to send rich content so Mms was born and as such so was the premium costing. 

Thank you for both your advice regarding the best answer and for your thoughts. I don't actually have a problem with my phone as I'm technically ok. This thread was originally raised as some of the elderly generation whom are strangers to this sort of technology are often the victims of this and totally oblivious to such.

Thank you everyone for their input regardless of your opinion ( if people didnt have differing opinions then what would discussion be )