Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Massive Increase in Data Usage/ Allowance + Passes

7thCircleOfHell
4: Newbie

*** EDIT***  Please read this lengthy complaining thread if you like - or save yourself some time. Vodafone have today told 2 of us that there is a problem with data use and they are trying to fix it - so if you have suddenly used all your data get onto their complaints line 03333 041 524 

We have pay monthly Mobile Broadband.  15gb for £15 plus the now defunct passes - Combi Pass so all passes for a further £15. We began the contract in Dec 2018 after looking carefully. We live on a boat and work from home so need reliable internet etc.

All good so far.

Our first couple of months we used a reasonable amount of data per month outside our passes. Less than 2gb in total. So little in fact we looked at downgrading our 15gb to less. We didn't in the end.

Suddenly in February around the 20th - just after we got a message saying 'we've been carrying out some technical changes and during this time we switched you over to unlimited data ... these changes are complete, switched back etc etc.' our data use leapt up.

Now I have downloaded our latest bill and Feb 12th - 20th our highest daily use of data against our 15gb allowance was 2.74mb - and often more like 0.5 averagely - on the 21st that increases to 349.117 and keeps up that pace - cresting at over 2000mb per day - until we hit our limit.

I have spent 4 hours today talking to Vodafone and Voxi customer services. I have spoken to 13 different people in all. I have been reassured that my passes are working fine.

Nobody can tell me why my data use has sky rocketed. Our online behaviour has not changed at all.

It is a strange coincidence it has happened since that technical jiggery pokery on or around the 20th of Feb.

Has anyone any idea what might have happened? Has it also happened to you?

What can be done?

There is no actual explanation for why our data use has leapt 1800x when we've done nothing different.

65 REPLIES 65

7thCircleOfHell

We have now allegedly used over 5gb of our 15gb allowance in just 4 days.

Our Video Pass is still showing zero use despite us using Netflix.

Prior to February we used fewer than 2gb of our allowance in the whole month.

Does ANYONE have any idea what is happening?

Ok, after another 45 mins of chat to Customer Support I finally have a representative saying that it doesn't look right.

I have been assured that 'back end data tracking team' will investigate this issue and get back to me within 24 hours. So we will see.

My concerns have been 'escalated' by customer service 3 times in the past week with promises I will hear back from 'teams' within 24 hours and I have heard nothing.

Why is this customer service so bad?

Chelseamc2000

I saw your comment on my post about the data increase. 

Mine also shot right up after they had sorted the technical issues they was having and they had switched me to unlimited in that time. 

However like you - I was barely using my 30GB of data any other month and again my passes were all working. 

Howvere I’ve read and been told that the mobile broadband isn’t compatible with laptops of certain makes and consoles... but when I was sold this product I was told it would all be fine. 

I was completely mislead. 

I live in a temporary accommodation - hence why I got this mobile box out seeing as I won’t be in this property much longer. 

I’ve now had no internet all month, I’ve been told I just have to wait until it refreshes in April. 

I had money taken off my bill but however I was still very displeased with the people I spoke too and the fact I was told something different everytime. 

Also when I spoke to someone I store, she had absolutely so clue how the Vodafone app worked or that you could have passed on the mobile dongles. 

I was absolutely disguested, she then had the cheek to ask me to rate her a good score for helping me after that. 

I can truthfully say when this contract is up I will not be continuing with them. 

@7thCircleOfHell I'm so sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your data usage - this is very unusual to hear. So I can take a closer look into what may be causing this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us.
@Chelseamc2000 I understand my colleague Loz invited you in on your thread here. Were you able to get in touch with us?

There is obviously a problem - and it is not OURS!

The question is - what do we do about it? Have you talked to customer service online? I guess not if you've got no internet.

I have spoken to them at length about 5 or 6 times now. I've had assurances each time that the matter would be raised with this team or that team and they will get back to me. But nobody ever does get back to me.

We are now about halfway through our data allowance from Mar 13th - April 13th which is completely ridiculous. I've not even been at home since Sunday!

My next move is to go into the local Vodafone shop with my bills - but as they usually shrug their shoulders and make out that Vodafone is a mysterious entity that operates outside the bounds of logic or reason - I'm not hopeful it will do any good!

I have got to the point where I believe the service is not fit for purpose and missold to us. So may well be going down that route.

Keep in touch! We have to support each other.

Exactly the problem isn’t ours at all! 

But I’ve been mis- lead so much, I’ve rang up multiple times myself and I still don’t get any answers... 

the private message probably isn’t going to help either. 

I have been into store and she made contact with them online, however they were just as useless as her. 

I’ve been told they will raise the issue and I’ll hear back from them and I never do... so you’re not alone in that. 

How were I’ve read from a few other people that they have had the same issues. 

I’m more annoyed I was sold this product and I was told it would be fine with the laptop and PS4. 

At this point I don’t know what to suggest or do myself... however I am thinking maybe cancelling is the best option? 

The private message was very unhelpful as always 

Have you got a contract @chelseamc2000 ?

We have a 12 month contract which we are 4 months into.