Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Missing lines of Text

Foxxie7Ag
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. I'm on an unlimited texts package.  I can send any number of texts in differing lengths to various friends, except one.  I can write about six or more lines of text but the first half of the text is missing and the recipeint only gets the last line or two and sometimes its just a couple of words, but the whole beginning part of the text is not delivered.  Can anyone please tell me whats going on because it doesn't happen with any other of my contacts.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Foxxie7Ag 

This really needs your friend to be open to suggestions.

The fix would probably be to start by asking O2 for a new SIM card, followed by deleting all your saved messages.  If this does not work, it will be a phone problem where it will be necessary to replace the phone. 

If there are any problems, your friend could always ask for help from an O2 store, like a Vodafone Store, the staff would be willing to help and answer questions.

View solution in original position

22 REPLIES 22

hrym

From what you say, I think we can be confident your friend probably isn't using RCS, but are you?   In a recent upgrade, I acquired this, and turned Chat on as it seemed a good idea.   However, the only effect seemed to be delayed delivery, so I turned it off again.

Hello again,

Ahhh.......we might have cracked it, if these chopped-up texts of mine have anything to do with the Chat feature being turned on.  Yes I do have mine turned on and I know for a fact my Friend doesn't have any such feature.  Not sure what RCS stands for, but if its the Chat feature then yes, mine is definitely on.   I'll try switching it off and see whether this affects the texts between us.  I don't suppose you could enlighten a semi-technophone like me about the differences between just a text and the Chat feature, could you please?  Thanks for taking time our of your day to address this problem of mine.  Regards.

AnnS

Hi @Foxxie7Ag 

Please see here: More from your messages with chat 

Hi again.  Well that didn't help.  She still sometimes gets only the last one or two lines of the text, and sometimes its only 5 lines long in total.  It says on her phone 'receiving text' but no matter how long she waits nothing mroe ever comes through and I end up having to 'forward' the same message to her which is very hit and miss as she may or may not get the whole message, often its the same thing.....only two or three words received and always at the end of the message not the beginning.  Its very strange.

I followed the link and I did switch it off, but since its still happening I may as well switch it on again.  Really appreciative of your efforts, thankyou.

AnnS

Hi @Foxxie7Ag 

This really needs your friend to be open to suggestions.

The fix would probably be to start by asking O2 for a new SIM card, followed by deleting all your saved messages.  If this does not work, it will be a phone problem where it will be necessary to replace the phone. 

If there are any problems, your friend could always ask for help from an O2 store, like a Vodafone Store, the staff would be willing to help and answer questions.

Hi AnnS,

Thanks for all your advice.  I'm in a very awkward position with my friend because she never thinks that she could be at fault.  I've hinted (strongly) in recent days about new SIM cards and upgrading etc but she's having none of it I'm afraid.  I'll just have to content myself that its not me who is at fault its her phone.  I'm going to have to stop being so accommodating with re-sending the Texts (by forwarding them) every time as I don't think if the problem was reversed she would put up with keep re-sending.  Its not like she gets the whole text even when I do re-send because often she does not.  

I'm afraid my friend lives in self-imposed confinement in her home so would never go to an O2 Store even though she could if she really really wanted too. 

Guess we'll just have to live with this intolerable situation until her phone breaks or packs up altogether technically.

I can't thank you enough for all your help and advice with this problem AnnS and I'm very grateful for everything..

BandOfBrothers

Have you considered other options such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger or good old email in the interim @Foxxie7Ag 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hello again, thanks for your contact.  Yes we've come to the conclusion that if we need to 'chat for longer' then an email is the best option.   As for Apps, well, my phone is an Android and I have no problem with any of that stuff but I've a feeling my friend has JUST a mobile phone that does nothing except make and receive calls and the same with texts.  This is why I've thought all along that the problem lies with her phone, not mine.  Anyway thanks for your advice and for your time in contacting me.

Regards,   Julie

AnnS

Hi @Foxxie7Ag 

Thank you for your reply.

If you are forwarding on texts messages there is no other way to send the message.

I hope my replies have helped. 

hrym

Sorry, RCS is Rich Communications Suite and is an enhanced messaging app that allows longer communications and for messages to be set via data as well as mobile text (ie SMS).   Most phones come with it now.   iMessage is much the same thing.   The "chat" feature effectively turns all this on.   Turn it off and your messaging app reverts to being a simple SMS vehicle (just like the "the old days" :Cry_Laughing:)

As I said, I have it turned off.   Give that a try.   If it works, and doesn't introduce any other disadvantages, leave it that way.