Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile data not working

FST
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all, I got a new phone yesterday (S7 edge). My old phone (BB 9105) didn't have texts or data so I have had the SIM upgraded so I can get these on my new phone.  However, since I started using my new phone I haven't been able to do anything with mobile data. It must be connected as I can make calls, plus there is always a H/2G/3G/4G icon in the status bar. Also, it is saying I've used 857 kb of data so it must be doing something in the background...

I've tried the usual hard restart, reset apn and everything but no use.

It's also worth noting that the phone is second hand, but the previous owner never had any issues and the phone has been wiped between him and me having it.

Any help would be much appreciated. I know i need to contact my service provider but i cant do that until monday and i want it sorting now!

Thanks in advance, Fred

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @FST

Just to start off with a link that may help. 

How-do-I-set-up-my-phone-for-internet-access-and-picture-messaging-MMS.

If by SIM upgrade you mean a SIM swap due to the new phone accepting a different sized sim card then this can take up to 24 hours occasionally to fully settle. 

Can you surf online using Wi-Fi  ?

Working out why mobile data is not working has to be done in steps. 

My proposed steps are.....

1. As a process of elimination can you insert your SIM card in another phone to see if things work then. If things work then that rules out the SIM card or your account at issue leaving the phone most probably the issue. 

2. Ensure Mobile Data is turned On in the phones settings. 

I appreciate it's a 2nd Hand phone. Was this also used on Vodafone Uk or another network initially and then unlocked.

If unlocked from another network how was this achieved  ?

I ask because if a person uses a Highstreet Store to force unlock it then this can cause issues. 

3. Ensure no phone settings in the phones internal data monitor are set to curb data usage.

i.e They have limit settings to help stop a person going over their Data plan. 

4. Check in your myvodafone that no data caps  / bars are set. 

5. Is this happening everywhere you go  ? Check your postcode in the Vodafone uk-coverage-map. and Vodafone have a help thread and template Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template.

6. Go into the phones network settings and manually choose another network in the phone and then re choose Vodafone UK. 

7. Use Live Chat and or Customer Service on 191 just to have them check out your account.

I appreciate your seeing some usage which could have been the initial setting up of your phone and background setting up too. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @BandofBrothers, thanks for the reply. It's the same SIM, it's laser cut so you can pop it out into different sizes. By upgrade, I contacted my provider to change it from a calls plan to a calls, texts and data plan.

Wi-Fi works fine, as do calls and texts.

I'll try swapping the SIM today.

Before I got the phone, it was on a Vodafone pay monthly contract, the same as I am.

Not sure about unlocking but in any case it was wiped before I started using it so I wouldn't have thought anything the previous user did would make any difference.

This is happening everywhere I go, plus the map you linked to says I should have 2g, 3g and 4g at home.

I think I've covered everything you mentioned in your post, I'll try putting the SIM in another phone and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the great reply btw!

Ok @ BandofBrothers, I tried my SIM in another phone, nothing loaded on mobile data. I tried another SIM in my phone and it worked (it was a bit slow but I presume that was just that we were in  an area of bad reception)

So, next step, get a new SIM card, right?

Thanks for your help:Thumbs_Up:

Fred

BandOfBrothers

Before visiting a Vodafone High street Store with Photo ID to perform a SIM swap id suggest to check in with Live Chat or customer service on 191 just to check your account and any caps or bars. 

Your myvodafone may highlight any settings. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.