Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile data usage when you aren't using the phone

Flychick
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm posting here as I can't use the complaints form as it keeps saying my mobile phone number isn't valid and I'm hoping that someone from Vodaphone picks this up!

I phoned customer services on the day the excessive usage occurred on 10th Oct but now that I am home from holiday (in Scotland) I've had more time to think about it.  My phone was charging at the time of the incident and I was not using it as I was reading my book.  Somehow the phone used 4.67GB in the space of 30mins, is this even feasible?  Researching I've had quoted that a 2 hour HD film might use 6GB which is a considerably lower level of usage to the one I'm alleged to have used.  The texts sent to me reporting the situation do not correlate with the amounts shown and came within such a short space of time that I could not have done anything to prevent it reaching £65!  The final text said I had now used £26 worth of data so what about texts for the rest?  This raises a number of issues - why is there not an automatic data cap to prevent the situation and looking at the Vodaphone community forum I'm not the only person to experience this.  What about 'fair usage' whereby there is a restriction on how much someone can go over their data (similar to the data cap).  My expectation is to have the £65 charge deleted from my bill, if you are unwilling to review the bill then I will be looking for a deadlock letter to take to the ombudsman.  Also to look at complaints tools like revolver.co.uk an early response would be appreciated.  This has never happened before and I have a sim only contract on an older phone - the only new app I have is the Vodaphone one so maybe it's the rogue using my data!!!!  I'll certainly be looking elsewhere for another provider as I'm not tied to Vodaphone.  I'm not a big spender but I've been with them in excess of 10years and expected better in this situation.

13 REPLIES 13

Getafix
16: Advanced member

Data Cap is an option that you decide on. It is not applied automatically.

Regarding usage while phone is connected to a charger, is not a new thing.
When your phone is charging and connected to WiFi, it starts lot of downloads (Apps update) and uploads (Backup). On some occassions the WiFi is dropped but the process sometimes continues.
Most modern have a Data Counter which keeps a Track of Data used both on Network as well WiFi. I would suggest check that to find out what has used the Network Data.

Thanks, what you have said I have learned about how phones work and sorted the Data Cap in the past week. 

My point is that if this is an ongoing issue in the first place, as evidenced by a number of threads over the years, then Data Cap, Fair Usage etc should be in place without people receiving exorbitant charges without physically using their devices.

Also I can't complain as the Vodaphone form doesn't believe I have a valid number!!!!

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I totally understand and appreciate your not impressed at the costs incurred @Flychick

Vodafone can only see how much data has been used but cannot see what it's been used on. 

Any inbuiltir downloaded Data Counter as mentioned can help. 

Some phones can and will auto switch from wifi to mobile data if the connection drops. 

Sometimes preferences settings in your phone can be set to help stop this etc. 

Also some people while on Wifi elect to turn Off Mobile Data in their phones settings to stop any unwanted usage of network mobile data as a safeguard. 

As your phone has used the data allowance which is out of Vodafones control as they have no direct control of your phone and its preferences settings then I'm not sure they would quash the outstanding amount.

Some people want a data cap and some don't so it's up to the account holder to be aware of the choices available on their account and act accordingly.

That said it wouldn't harm to ask for a goodwill gesture. 

Are you using this form Here.

We have a Vodafone Social Media Team here who read all posts and help where they can once they've caught up with threads. 

The option of the Communications Ombudsman is to arbitrate if both parties reach an impass. They'd look at both sides in regards to how the data usage was reached etc. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks, had for the form but it doesn't see my number as valid so I'm going to have to do the old fashioned postal method - got cut off yesterday when I was phoning.

My point is still that other providers don't allow this situation to happen as they automatically apply the data cap.  My situation is not unique therefore with the level of instances of occurance one would have thought Vodaphone would have clocked this from the perspective of good customer service.

hrym

If you're looking at your account to see data usage, bear in mind that the time stamp there isn't necessarily the time the data was actually being used - it's accumulated periodically and the amount may be in smaller chunks over a (slightly) wider period of time.

It's important to make sure that app and system updates only happen over wifi and also that apps which update at intervals (eg news) also do so.   4gb is a lot and does perhaps point to a download completing.   Your phone will (as has been mentioned) have a built-in data monitor and this will show you both what has used the data and maybe also exactly when.   Look at this and you can nail the culprit and take appropriate action.

Thanks, I think I have now sorted the technical side. 

My complaint is Vodaphone's duty of care in not allowing this to happen.  I choose to make the call that will get the extra charges, I choose to send the text that will get the extra charges.  I thought I could choose when to update apps, ios etc - I don't have many apps and at present my app store is showing 11 upgrades needed.  I'm not that tech savvy to realise that I wouldn't have the choice about when to use the data which seems to be a similar experience to others.

Alternative providers I've found on USwitch automatically put on a data cap and / or apply fair usage as they have obviously experienced this and have provided duty of care to customers.

By the same argument Apple/Google have a duty of care not to let their OS cause you to run up a bill, and the options are there for you to prevent this - I have my automatic updates turned off unless on Wi-Fi.

The capping option, where the networks MUST offer a cap is a new Ofcom regulation that only came into force on 1st October, and is only applicable to new or upgrading customers. 

Thanks the options are there - however how do you ever find out unless the seller tells you!

Getafix

@Flychick wrote:

Thanks the options are there - however how do you ever find out unless the seller tells you!

What else do you think that Vodafone has not told you about?