Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving a number from one phone to another

Smiley11
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi , I have been a loyal Vodafone customer for 26 years and am on the verge of leaving never to come back. I shall explain why. I have a mobile with a monthly vodafone contract , which is now at the end of its 2 year contract and so 10-days ago I asked for it to go to Pay as you go. At about the same time I found a cheap deal with Carphone Warehouse for a new phone and a new 2 year contract with Vodafone. They told me it would be easy to get Vodafone to switch my old number to the new phone and Sim, and that I should just ring them. It has proved anything but easy. I have been sent from different department to different department , from the renewals department in Ireland who were very rude and unhelpful to eventually a nice man in India who talked me through filling out an online form and said the  process was in motion and would happen within two days. I recieved an email and text saying this would happen and I should ring to confirm that I was happy for the number to move. When I rang the number that I was told to ring, after waiting 20 minutes to get through I was told it was not possible and that I should speak to a different department and that the nice gentleman had made me fill out the wrong form. When I was eventually put through to the right department I was told they would not be able to do this until 30 days after I have changed to a pay as you go contract. I have so far wasted several hours on this and am frankly appalled at your customer service. This is no way to treat an existing loyal customer nor a new customer. Please can someone advise me how to get my number on to my new sim and how the best way to make a proper complaint to Vodafone, for whom there seems no easy way to email or contact without having to waste more time being put from department to department.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Hi there,

I get that this is frustrating but basically you're playing the system in order to get a better price on your contract moving forward, I know - I did the same. 

So the situation is, just to re-cap:

• You have a Vodafone contract (the old one), in line with the terms and conditions, if you are wanting to end the contract and go to PAYT, you need to give 30 days notice (same as if you wanted to just end it)
  • You have taken a new contract through a third party (for a better deal), you have the option to either port a number in from another provider or from Vodafone PAYT. There is no facility to port in from an already live contact. Which basically this is until you either port out using a PAC code or see out your 30 day notice to close the contract and move to PAYT

Definitely annoying and but you need to consider the situation here. Vodafone require 30 days notice to end the contract. This is in the terms and conditions. However, there is a way around this as OFCOM require them (and all networks) to waive this notice period if you use either a PAC or STAC code.

This is why the answers you receive above have pointed you down that route. It does make sense to pick up a PAYT sim card from an alternative network at your local shop (most sell them for 99p) or even go on their website and get a free one sent to your home (check out EE and O2) and port your number to that sim before then porting back to your new Vodafone line.

Point I'm making (and I do buy into your frustration) is they're basically behaving, as all networks are, in line with their terms and conditions.

So I'd recommend:

• Porting out and back in again (most hassle but quickest way of getting end result)
  • Moving to PAYT then filling out the move my number form when complete (less hassle but longer wait)
  • Call the complaints number and see if you get someone sympathetic

View solution in original position

28 REPLIES 28

I put the request in yesterday and it completed today around 1pm.

chistery

Then try tomorrow, they probably haven't updated everything yet and closed it off as complete.

I will, thank you for your help!

Hey, just to say I tried this morning and I got the PAC code finally. You were right about it needing a bit more time to complete. But I don't know why the O2 callperson said it would take 28 days though. Thank you!

chistery

Glad it's working but people wanting to PAC out within hours of transferring in probably isn't in the training handbook and they come up with something that sounds reasonable.

As usual, believe the advice here and not from technical support 😀

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

@Smiley11 wrote:

I was hoping that Vodafone might budge , as I was still remaining a Vodafone customer

But that's the point - you aren't remaining a Vodafone customer. You have become a Carphone Warehouse customer and they have effectively sub-contracted the network connection to Vodafone. That's why it's so fiddly to do what you're trying to do.  And speaking of Carphone Warehouse, they are fully aware of how cumbersome the process can be. Did they pre-warn you about the hassle? If not I'd ask them why.

Good luck!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Hi Jeffkin,

Now I see. I thought I was still remaining a customer of Vodafone as I have a new account no. with them and everything. I thought It was some joint Carphone Warehouse / Vodafone arrangement, so presumed it would all be ok. 
  Interestingly CPW said i could get my number transferred no hassles!! When I rang up to explain the almighty ordeal I am still going through. They said that they apologised if I had been given incorrect information, which I expect they say to everyone and then They can carry on selling these contracts!

jeffkinn
This has been going on for years. It’s in their interests to sell you a new Vodafone contract so they get their commission. This makes life difficult for existing Vodafone customers as you are treated by the network as a new customer. But the normal PAC code route doesn’t work as you can’t use a PAC within the same network. Hence the trouble that you have encountered.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for your help.