Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving from one Vodafone contract to another, and keeping my phone number

4: Newbie

Hello,

I had a Vodafone pay monthly business contract. In order to get an iPhone X, I understood from Mobile Phones Direct that it was cheaper to buy it from them and take out a new Vodafone contract as a pay monthly consumer contract, which I would then be able to change to a business contract, and, best of all, I could keep my original number.

I understood that I had to cancel the old contract and ask for the number to be moved to PAYG, which I did after phoning up customer services.  I was told that the number will be scheduled to move to PAYG after 30 days and I'd receive a new PAYG SIM card to activate and top up a small amount to get it active on the network. I'd then be able to transfer the number to the new contract.

None of this has happened! And I am left with a number I never wanted - I want my old number back! I have spent several hours on the online chat facility to polite but clueless chaps in India who keep passing me around from PAYG to Pay Monthly to Business to Consumer. 

Could someone from Vodafone please resolve this? And save me from banging my head against the wall anymore?!

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

torleik
4: Newbie

When you say this has not happened, what do you mean exactly?

Has your business number moved to payg or have you lost it?

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @1865

This does not sound good. 

The problem is you can't change a business contract to PAYG, you should have been advised to first change the contract to consumer, you would then have been in a position to contact Vodafone and make the request to change to PAYG.  Unless this was a Corporate account, this would have been done by following the link below and completing the Transfer of Ownership.

Can I transfer my number and contract to someone else?

The process would then have needed to be completed again to transfer back to a business contract.

The best thing to do is to give the Social Media Team time to get to the thread, they will be in a good postion to put you in contact with the Team to find out what has happened to your business number.

Hi, thanks both for your replies. 

By it not happening, I mean that I've not had any comms from Vodafone about my old number being moved to PAYG.

@AnnS Ouch. I need to take a little bit of the blame for my predicament myself, as I leapt into this situation without checking. I await the touch of the Social Media Team!

cheers,

@1865

I'm not sure about business accounts, but there is a quicker way to transfer your number to the new account when dealing with consumer accounts by using another provider for a day or two.

Simply request the PAC for the original contract with Vodafone. Buy a PAYG SIM from any other provider, but this must not be Vodafone (I used GiffGaff), and top up the minimum amount. Use the PAC to transfer your number from the Vodafone account to the new PAYG SIM. The day after the first transfer, request the PAC from the new SIM provider and use it to transfer the number back to Vodafone but onto your new contract.

Each transfer can be set as next working day so the whole process should only take a few days to sort out. Best to instigate the first transfer on a Monday so as to avoid having to wait over a weekend however.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@1865 I'm sorry to see this hasn't been a smooth move for you :Sad_face: 

We'll be happy to raise this with the dedicated team to help transfer your number.

I've sent you a private message so we can do this. Once we receive your details, we'll then be in touch to get this resolved.

Thanks all, and Natasha, I've just repled.