main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Pay monthly

My vodafone login requires authentication every time

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
3: Seeker

Every time I try to login to my vodafone account via laptop I have to authenticate my login via sms message. Is this usual. I thought this was a one time only security process. As I have no signal at home this is getting very laborious and irritating trying to find a signal to get the sms. 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
17: Community Champion

Hi. Yes this is the case at the present time, who knows if this will change but you need the security code each time.

View more options
16 REPLIES

Every time I try to login to my vodafone account via laptop I have to authenticate my login via sms message. Is this usual. I thought this was a one time only security process. As I have no signal at home this is getting very laborious and irritating trying to find a signal to get the sms. 

View more options

Hi. Yes this is the case at the present time, who knows if this will change but you need the security code each time.

View more options

@kaz21again You will get this every time you log into your account now. It's an added security feature that Vodafone have enabled on all accounts to protect from potential intrusions. 

I've got a Sure Signal at home so i'm thankfully able to receive SMS messages however without that i'd be int he same boat as you. 

If you have a landline you can add that as an alternative number on your account which the text can be sent to, this may help? You can add it once logged in, or customer services would be able to add it for you.

N

View more options
5: Helper

Other companies offering 2 factor authentication at least allow you to set your device as trusted minimising the inconvenience with a minimal impact on security. Can Vodafone please implement this system as the current SMS system drives me nuts?

use 2 factor authentication on all services where offered including Amazon which required googling how to enable it so I fully endorse the approach however the Vodafone implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

View more options

Completely agree @sat505

I personally use Google Authenticator on every site that supports it and email/SMS for sites that doné.

I know it's been fed back to Vodafone before so hopefully they are working on improvements to the system :-)

View more options

This is crazy, an SMS each time!

Please change this, it's not necessary. If the My Vodafone Android app would work, I wouldn't mind as much. But that damn thing breaks almost every update and they haven't been able to get it to work on Android 7 from the start.

So if i'm outside of Europe and want to check my usage, i'll be forced to pay for a received SMS. :manfrustrated:

View more options
2: Seeker

I have been unable to login to my Vodafone form months due to the authentication, as I am working abroad and I dont switch on my UK mobile, it's very expensive.

Vodafone do provide a list of number to call but calling those number are extremely expensive !

Sending a code through mobile text is not a good practice. !

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @dsyliou

Our Live Chat can look into this further for you. 

Louise

View more options
2: Seeker

Thank you Louise

I got the advice from LiveChat;

Incoming texts are totally free so I was able to switch on my UK number to get authentication code and login to my online account.

I  managed to get the code, as soon as I entered the code, it returned a java error message; java.lang.NullPointerException, see attached.

At first I thought that I had an issue with my PC, so I tried to login using my iPhone and iPhone, both recived the same error message. I don't have any issues loging to my other accounts; such a bank, utility bills and other applications.

This only happens with Vodafone UK login.

Regards

Dsyliou

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @dsyliou

This sounds very odd. I am going to send you a Private Message with further help.

Louise

View more options
1: Seeker

Is this a permanent procedure ?

View more options
16: Advanced member

You can view the Basic information but if you need to view details or make any changes then you have to use the 2LA.

View more options

A lot more functionality has been added to the My Vodafone app, which only requires a PIN.  You can view and download bills and adjust barring settings.   I use that exclusively now, and not the web interface.

View more options
4: Newbie

If that is the case, why does it offer you the opportunity to "save your login details on this device for next time", to save having to get a code sent to your mobile each time? Waste of time!

View more options

If you're accessing the website through a browser, it'll be the browser that's offering to save the details, not Vodafone.  Most browsers do it and it can be quite convenient, though you need to consider security before deciding whether to allow it or not.

View more options
4: Newbie

No, I know what you mean, but this isn't the browser in this case. This is a VF popup page that asks about saving details.

View more options