Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not receiving OTPs from anywhere but Vodafone

zna2014
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Ported to Vodafone and no longer receiving OTPs from banks, etc.  Vodafone call these 'alpha tags' and although their number comes through I can't get anything from anywhere else.  Getting desparate now as so many online apps require this as a second form of verification.  I upgraded to an iPhone X a week after the port and even some of the transactional apps need to be re-verified on the new device but codes aren't being received so the apps are just wallpaper.  The only reference I can find here is a problem with a dual SIM phone.

Banks say they're sending the code - Vodafone says nothing received.  Tried the SIM in my old iPhone 6 and still nothing.  The only code of this kind that has managed to get through is from WhatsApp to re-authorise the app but that was from a 'regular' mobile number.  Anybody?

11 REPLIES 11

hrym
17: Community Champion

Check that you haven't got premium texts barred on your account.   This shouldn't happen with a straightforward upgrade, but you never know...   Although these aren't premium rate texts, they will probably be interpreted as such if they come from a shortcode (I had a similar problem when trying to pay for parking, for the same reason).

If it's not that, check that the phone itself doesn't have some kind of bar in settings.   I'm not familar with iOS, so this is just a guess.

Thanks but that's already been tried by the network.  I did speak with Apple support and they couldn't think of anything in iOS  that would stop these coming through (sending the messages to a spam folder, for example).  Ths morning I resorted to finding my old iPhone 6, charging it up, swapping SIMS and trying to complete a test transaction - still nothing..  It's really poor that these issues only seem to get escalated to a qualified person when the only option I have left is to go back to my old network provider.

hrym

Hmm.  It does sound like an account issue.  I assume you can get regular SMS OK?   If not, then the issue is almost certainly an incomplete port, which can be caused by your previous network not supplying all the files, or one of them being corrupted.  Hang on for the forum team to pick this up as they'll be able to investigate for you.   It might be worth asking them whether it's possible to check and maybe re-apply the porting files.

As far as I'm aware, the network doesn't block SMS at all.

Edited to add: as a further thought, you could try applying an incoming premium rate bar to your account and then removing it.  It's just possible that'll reset something and get the system working.

Regular text messages are coming through fine.  In fact, as I mentioned, a verification code from WhatsApp (to authorise the app on the new iPhone) also came through but it was a normal text message from a typical-format mobile number.  I was told they toggled the premium rate bar on-and-off on Monday but they're doing it again today apparently 'in some different way'.   Surely setting up a new phone, installed apps and their associated data has to be a more complex migration task than porting a number yet all I had to do was hold the new phone near another Apple device and almost everything was taken care of.  I guess the danger is that we now expect other 'global' companies to provide the same level of service.

Thanks again for the suggestions. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

As @hrym advised @zna2014, we can take a look into why you're unable to receive these texts. As we'll need access to your account to do this, please get in touch by following the instructions in this private message.

Your private message contains instructions to 'click here' as if there should be a hyperlink in the message and subsequently to use your magic code.  Unfortunately there is no link so I assume your code is also imaginary.

As you can probably tell, my patience with Vodafone is wearing thin.  I've already had an email this morning claiming the engineers have resolved the issue but guess what, they haven't.  More fiction.

How long do do you actually expect customers to wait?  When I suggest iI might have to to return to my previous provider, I'm threatened with early contract termination penalites.  Like I need that kind of attitude right now.

Do me a favour and get some focus on sorting out this problem and when you recommend I take some steps to communicate with you make sure those steps work.  Thanks.

hrym

Yes, there should indeed be a link.   In some cases, the link is there but not highligted.  Have you tried clicking the word "here" by any chance?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies if the link was highlighted in my previous private message @zna2014. I've resent this along with the instructions on reaching us directly. As @hrym advised, click on the word 'here' in the text body and follow the instructions provided.

Hi there, 

I have been experiencing the same issue. My phone has not been receiving any verification code text messages (excluding Whatsapp), despite my having contacted customer support, gone into a branch to discuss it in person and now having bought a new handset. I'd appreciate it if you could contact me with options because I too am growing tired of this issue. 

Many thanks,