cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Number change due to persistent nuisance calls from 'Unknown' number - £25 charge?

harry66
4: Newbie

Over the past few weeks, my wife has started receiving multiple calls from 'Unknown' i.e. caller id witheld number.

At first she would just ignore, let it ring out, then she tried rejecting the call.

Eventually she even tried answering the call, but this was met with silence - no-one answers at the other end - even if my wife tries saying hello etc...After a few moments they hang up.

I tried chatting to Vodafone support but the only advise they offered was some option for my wife to ring 191 to report the nuisance number - for an 'Unknown' number :Smiley_with_tongue_out: - seriously?

They also suggested TPS even I told them the number is already registered.

My wife is getting fed up because sometime they ring repeatedly more than 10 times in quick sucesssion - until she puts the phone on silent or airplane mode - but then this means she would miss genuine calls.

So, I asked about changing the number and was told there would be a 'small' admin fee of £25!! Small admin fee? thats more than a whole months line rental!!

Seriously Vodafone, is that how you help long standing loyal customers? I have had 3 monthly contracts with you for god know how many years and when faced with a genuine problem you want £25??

5 REPLIES 5

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@harry66 I'm really sorry to hear your wife's been receiving nuisance calls like this, II appreciate your frustration with this. I'd love the opportunity to turn this experience around for you and get things sorted, as quickly as possible. To do this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us.

Hi @Loz 

Sorry for not getting in touch sooner - but for several weeks the nuisance calls had stopped - so my wife decided to stick with her existing number. However, she has started receiving the 'Unknown caller' calls again several times on some days- sometimes even during the night.

I did try the form as detailed in your PM - but the code has expired.

I have PM'ed you too - but thought I would reply here - in case you are on leave or something....

Thanks.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @harry66! It's a shame to hear after these nuisance calls stopped, they've started again - I understand how unsatisfying and frustrating this must be. I'm sorry the code you received has now expired, we've now changed our process of how to get in touch with us directly in order to access your Vodafone account.

So a member of our team can take a closer look into this and provide you with the best solution, please contact our team via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Don't forget to include the link to this thread, along with your username. 

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @harry66 

Unfortunately, as far as is known networks can't bar incoming calls.

Your Wife shouldn't need to tolerate these unwanted calls or go to all the trouble of changing her number just because of these pests.

Depending on the phone your Wife is using the easiest way to stop these calls is through the phone call settings. For Android go to call settings >  blocked, choose settings at the top right hand cormer > interception rules, scroll to block unknown/hidden numbers and make sure the phone setting is enabled.  There should be something similar in the call settings for Apple phones.

This should do the trick and put a stop any further calls from these persistent nuisance unknown number pests.  There should also be an application available to download but not sure of reliability.  

I hope that helps.

Hi @AnnS

Thanks - but I already explored the options on her phone and you can only block specific numbers - no option for 'Unknown' type calls.

Also, checked out a few apps - not very reliable / stable.