Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

O2 > Vodafone port stuck in limbo?

dannyboy75
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My number was (supposed to be) ported from O2 to Vodafone today. The old O2 sim stopped working around 12.30 today, but it's nearly 20.30 now and the Vodafone sim still says 'no service'.

I contacted CS via live chat earlier, and they said I need to activate my sim. However, I've ported this number quite a few times over the years and have never heard of this requirement before. So then I tried calling CS, and the guy I spoke to said it was just a case of waiting, as it could be up to midnight tonight - or even tomorrow evening.

I've never had a port take this long before, and am confused about the conflicting advice I'm being given by CS, plus concerned that I'm just being fobbed off. Is it really normal for a port to take this long, and still go through successfully without any intervention?

Thanks for any advice.

10 REPLIES 10

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @dannyboy75 ports do normally happen fairly quickly but it has been known to take up to 24 hours.

BandOfBrothers

Can you try a soft reboot by turning the phone Off and On and try choosing an alternative network and then choose Vodafone @dannyboy75

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks guys. I tried the manual roam, but still no joy.

I think I'm just going to leave the handset switched off for the night now, and hope it's all sorted itself by the morning.

BandOfBrothers

You’re welcome. 

If it continues then ask customer services to escalate this to the Vodafone Porting In Teams. 

Good luck.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Still no change this morning so I called CS again, and they spoke to the porting team. I'm now assured it will be working by 5pm today, thought I'm not convinced. We shall see....

Well 5pm came and went, and still no progress. I called CS again earlier, and the latest promise for the port to be completed is midnight tonight, but I'll believe it when I see it.

36 hours and counting with no mobile phone is incredibly frustrating, but I'm not sure what else I can do apart from keep calling Vodafone and hassling them. They must do loads of these ports each day, so it's hard to fathom why they seem to be making such hard work of mine.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I did read somewhere it's the entire system we use for mobile number portability that is the problem here which isn't handled by any of the networks, they use a company called Syniverse.

If you look at this forum, it's full of threads where people end up with split ports and then sadly have to put a lot of time and effort into resolving.

This makes me think that the majority of number ports still go through OK with little manual intervention but in cases like these, it's the gaining provider who should be doing all the leg work to get the issue resolved. 

Vodafone (and the other networks as well) should make it easier for customers to speak to the number porting teams during their first days of service because these split ports do get fixed - once the right people are looking at them. 

I would call CS again and ask to be connected to the porting team. That's the key here. Front line customer care (like most organisations) will just try to get you off the phone with a vague promise. After all, things might fall into place and resolve themselves. But pick up the phone first thing, speak to the porting team and I guarantee you, those people will know exactly what the problem is and liase with O2 to get it resolved.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dannyboy75 - I hope your number has fully ported over to us now!

If it hasn’t, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

Hi Gemma

No, still banging my head against a brick wall unfortunately, and still seeing 'no service' on my new phone after 4 days. I'll fill out the escalation form shortly though - thanks for the link.

The latest since my previous post is that I spoke to porting in team Weds morning, and they said they'd do a manual port yesterday, but there was still no change this morning. Spoke to CS again at lunchtime and they said they'd do another manual port tonight, and assured me that my phone 'should' be working by midnight tomorrow. Forgive me for not sharing their confidence though.

Dan