Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Paying for 5G signal with 4G speeds

gino76ph
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. I took a SIM-only 12-month contract on Vodafone at Carphone Warehouse via phone.

The contract comes with Unlimited data, Unlimited calls & Unlimited texts to anyone and  "5G capable" attached to the advert.

I am currently paying £28 per month and i'm using a 5G UK-spec phone in the OnePlus 8T.

My concern is with the monthly plan i'm getting downloads speeds "capped" at 10MBps and upload speeds at 2MBps.

As you can see my internet speeds are very slow (in 4G speeds) but getting a 5G signal but not 5G speeds.

I feel the advert is misleading and confusing - having a 5G phone and 5G should mean i must have 5G speeds as well.

I rung Vodafone CS and i was told that If i want faster speeds i need to pay more which I understand. But i feel they did not understand my real concerns.

Can anyone enlighten me on this please?

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

We had a very similar thread not too long ago @gino76ph in relation to the Vodafone contracts and 5G and that person had taken out a contract through an independent too.

Unfortunately the news wasn't good for them as they were locked into the contract.

Have you spoken with CPW ? As the contract was taken out directly with them.

I'll see if I can locate the thread I've spoken about and add it in.

Edit > Pay-monthly/Bought-Sim-Only-Deal-Falsely-Advertised-5G-From-Fonehouse. 

To add From @PedroC1999 

" Phones do not latch onto the strongest signal. They follow the network assigned procedure, hence why it's not uncommon to be connected to a weaker signal than is strictly available "

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks you for your response.

But it still doesn't answer my main concern: Living in a 5G area, using a 5G phone which uses a 5G signal but paying for (essentially a )5G speeds but getting a 4G signal.

Yup, i rung Carphone Warehouse and surprise surprise they told me to go back and seek help from Vodafone instead because my network is Vodafone and not CPW.

BandOfBrothers

Can you link to the CPW deal you viewed and signed upto? 

What did the Vodafone Agent you spoke to exactly explain when they said you'd need to pay more.

You need to look at the Terms and Conditions of your tariff which has been signed upto on acceptance of the contract @gino76ph 

Current Phone  >

Is it this one @gino76ph 

From CPW Sim Only. 

Screenshot_20210228-152936_Samsung Internet.jpg

This one includes 5G.

“ This Vodafone Unlimited plan will be ideal for your on-the-go video streaming needs with unlimited data at a maximum speed of up to 10mbps.”

Looking at the Vodafone status-checker does it show 5G for your postcode ?

Bearing in mind 5G is still in it's infancy and one needs to be pretty near a 5G module under optimal conditions,  also taking into account what I mentioned in regards to phone's and how they connect.

I assume your after faster downloads of large files which 5G is primarily for  ?

Current Phone  >

If you expect faster speeds than you signed up for, then see if Vodafone will change your plan for you but expect to pay £5 more a month.

I don't see the point in offering unlimited data then limiting speeds to 2mbps or 10mbps but they must suit some people.

I thought this would be a dead end from the onset.

I don't have the CPW link as i took my plan last year.

And yes i'm well aware of "If you want faster speeds you need to take it up with them &/or you have to pay more" default advise.

And yes I'm also aware that network plans do change almost every month.

It's a shame that even after going to the coverage checker it does not tell you the actual speeds in "MBps" but only the signal and the corresponding indoor/outdoor expectations.

AnnS

Hi @gino76ph 

It would also be worth mentioning only the unlimited plans come with the speed capped, if you agreed to the 20GB Red plan for example, you would receive the fastest speeds possible for the location. 

However, this is an Carphone plan and it may well have changed this year.  

I know it's the same default information but Vodafone are constantly improving the network and are still rolling out 5G.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Actual speed is hard to predict though. I get over 250Mb/s on 4G at 7am, but come 7pm it can drop to under 30Mb/s.  It also means people will complain if they don't get the advertised speed, so they have to be more general.

BandOfBrothers

I'm not sure what you expected in our replies @gino76ph 

I'm not being harsh I assure you.

The first thing we would look at is Vodafone's Terms and Conditions of a tariff a person has taken up.

I know many don't look at these for their own reasons and also in some cases the finer details of a tariff.

But as one is signing up to a pretty lengthy contract which can be expensive it's beneficial to always do so.

A contract taken direct with Vodafone gives  14 days to try out the service,  connection and data speeds, and then be able to cancel without penalty if it's not the one for you.

CPW do give sweeter tariff deals but do also offer this 14 day period to try out Vodafone.

I appreciate your out of this cooling off period now but it would have been an option at the time.

CPW Cooling Off Period Terms and Conditions. 

I do honestly appreciate the situation your in but I find it of no use to reply with something that won't be of any practical use to you which I'm hoping you understand and find the tone and information given useful.

Current Phone  >