Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone use abroad

sunndhil
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have the Unlimited Max plan and am in Canada right now due to the covid-19 pandemic. I'm not sure how long I will have to stay abroad for, however, how long will my plan work abroad? For example, I have 25 GB and can use my vodafone plan in Canada just as I would in the UK, but how long will this last? 

Thanks for answering and your help, take care.

-Sunny

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

There is some info in Travelling-abroad. 

Roaming is meant for periodic use and not on a semi permanent or permanent basis as per the Terms and Conditions.

I've seen it been advised for around 3 months although I've also seen people say they've roamed for longer.

If needed and if your phone is unlocked to all networks you could resort to using a local sim card too.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks, I will try calling vodafone tomorrow, would you or anyone else know the number? It's difficult to find a number to call from abroad. 

I will post the response I recieve from them on to this thread.

-Sunny

Thanks I will try calling vodafone tomorrow for a clear response and will post to both threads. Thanks,

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hey there,

I'm not sure you're going to get a straight answer on this one purely because all networks have the 'fair use policy' where they say it's intended for short term use however there's no-one who has ever posted to say they've fallen foul of the rule and been charged.

I have friends who have been using both Vodafone and EE abroad after moving permanantely and have not been charged an extra penny even now (a year later) so I'm not sure the networks are great at policitng this rule.

I'd work on the theory that if you have global roaming plus then your phone and allowances will continue to work in Canada (which is great by the way as I remember the local deals being really expensive) as usual. 

If Vodafone did intend to start billing you, all their fair use policies say they'll notify you ahead of being charged. 

So I'd not worry if my advice.

Thanks! Those anecdotes from your friends are very helpful. Greatly appreciate it.

-Sunny

BandOfBrothers

@sunndhil wrote:

Thanks, I will try calling vodafone tomorrow, would you or anyone else know the number? It's difficult to find a number to call from abroad. 

I will post the response I recieve from them on to this thread.

-Sunny

Hi @sunndhil 

From abroad +44 7836 191 191(free from a Vodafone mobile)

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Hi thanks again for your help, I just got off the phone with a vodafone representative. They told me under my plan, the Unlimited Max deal, the roaming abroad applies for up to 6 months. However, vodafone is working on extending that timeline with other carriers at the moment considering the circumstances.

Thank you all for your help, take care.

-Sunny 

BandOfBrothers

I'm glad the number I supplied for use while abroad helped @sunndhil and they were able to help you.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

@sunndhil wrote:

Don't try and call Vodafone, with the Government's advise to stay at home, there are fewer Customer Care advisors available and you will have a longer waiting time Vodafone ask that you only call if it is urgent.

Far better to contact the Social Media Team direct in the link I left.  Even then you will need to be extremely patient for a response.