Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Please stop with the text messages

JustStopIt
2: Seeker

I joined several months ago and I get a lot of Vodafone spam. I've phoned 191 several times, 3 at least and spoken to someone on the web chat system.

Today I received a new text message suggesting that some Vodafone security service I apparently have a trial with, expires shortly and for a mere £1 a month I could remain protected. It feels like I'm dealing with a devious four year old who thinks they've worked out how to get that biscuit they wanted.

Here's the fun part. This security service claims to protect you from dodgy web sites. The first thing I did, which I always have to do, is google the contact number (I entered "vodafone contact" into google). The very first hit which pops up is a scam web site that gives you a premium (£3.60 a minute) number to call which I assume will then give you the 191 number. Obviously that is not Vodafone's site, but their security product didn't notice it or care.

So. I just don't want to hear from Vodafone on my phone. Ever. Seriously there is no reason to call me or text me or even write to me unless you're changing the contract or I couldn't pay you perhaps.

I'm planning to report this to the various ineffectual bodies who supposedly police this sort of thing, but I thought I'd give this forum a chance as it came up through googling how to get it all to stop.

It's not a million messages a day, but one a year is one too many when I've asked for zero marketting spam. Find the over-eager little snot in marketing who thinks this is a good idea and give them a camomile tea.

7 REPLIES 7

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The message relates to Vodafone Call Protect. It's something that is added when contacts are taken / renewed for a period of time (three months?) and they've got in touch to let you know your free trial is coming to an end.

The ball is now in your court, the text should have contained info on how to opt out however if it didn,t log into your My Vodafone and you'll be able to de-activate it in there.

So really, this isn't a text to be getting annoyed about. You'd be more annoyed (or at least I would) if the trial ended without them telling you and the first you notice is when you see the extra £1 per month on your bill.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @JustStopIt

I can well understand how receiving communication from any company can be annoying especially if one contacts said company to alter any relevant preferences settings to have certain ones stopped. 

My phone has call and text blocking features which I've used to stop unwanted communication. Perhaps your phone may also have a similar feature ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you, yes it does but they don't necessarily send all spam from the same number. I doubt that's an attempt to get around me blocking them, rather a way of segregating by business area. So I would have to receive one and block it with no guarentee that further spam would be blocked.

I would have expected this with the bottom feeder end of the market where customer satisfaction is anathema but Vodafone are supposedly at the premium end. Not that the two ends are that far apart.

I wouldn't choose Vodafone again based on this experience.

Yes, I get that it's a three month trial, but a) I didn't sign up for it at the beginning and b) it shouldn't default to "please take my money" at the end and c) I shouldn't have to create an account, log into that account and then opt out.

It's not ambulance chaser bad, but it's within a short drive.

Leebrind

To be totally honest with you it's impossible for any phone company to stop all spam emails. However there is an spam email blocker that you can use and it does work. Also you can get the same blocker for spam telephone calls. 

I must warn you though that sometimes it can fail to block if the sender or caller is outside of the EU.

I'd love all spam to stop, but this is specifically spam sent BY Vodafone about Vodafone services :Sad_face:

I think they may have got there finally. It took half a dozen calls and live chats, but I don't think I have had one in 4 weeks or so.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JustStopIt Please keep us updated with this and let us know if you receive any more unwanted calls/texts.