Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Register New Owner of Phone

crispyswinger1
4: Newbie

Hiya

Odd one here and I'm pretty sure this cannot be done but wanted to ask.

I am a Vodafone customer and have purchased a brand new, unused and unwanted Vodafone iPhone from someone on eBay. 

The seller seemed genuine, no issues but I've read a lot of horror stories online where some sellers report the phone as lost/stolen after X amount of days so they can claim on insurance which then lands the phone on a blacklist and renders it unusable by me, the new owner.

My question is, is there a way to prevent this from occuring seeing as how I am the new owner of this phone? Is there some sort of form which registers me as the owner and stops the seller from being able to do what I mentioned above? 

I'm not saying I expect this to occur but I've spent a lot of money on this phone and don't want to worry about going on a trip one day and find that the phone becomes blocked due to the above scenario and be left stranded.

Bonus question: As the phone was never used by the seller with his Vodafone SIM, could he even get it blacklisted?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

The simple answer is no - there isn't such a form. The real answer is that you should get a signed receipt from the previous owner so that you can present it as evidence of ownership should the worst happen. But that would be after the event. There is nothing you can do to stop a phone being reported as stolen in the first place but this only benefits the original owner is there is insurance in place. No insurance = no benefit.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

@jeffkinn wrote:

The simple answer is no - there isn't such a form. The real answer is that you should get a signed receipt from the previous owner so that you can present it as evidence of ownership should the worst happen. But that would be after the event. There is nothing you can do to stop a phone being reported as stolen in the first place but this only benefits the original owner is there is insurance in place. No insurance = no benefit.

Thought as much! Cheers for the reply anyway. The seller does seem legit thogh, 750 100% feedback, been on eBay for around 11 years and I met with him to collect the phone and he seemed nice enough (I paid through eBay and PayPal though). 

I just assume the worst in case it does go that way so I can try and do something about it in advance if possible.

He's said he will send me a picture of the original receipt via eBay with his personal details blurred out so that's something I guess

jeffkinn
You have some protection through Ebay and Paypal. It’s people who buy a phone from a stranger in the pub that are asking for trouble.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png