cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Request to Vodaphone to remove roaming charges for UK customers stranded abroad by Covid-19 measures

jlyon
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My partner received a note from O2 yesterday to the effect that they would refund roaming charges during the current crisis for customers stuck abroad. Is Vodaphone going to step up to the plate and do similar? I'm paying 6GBP/day at the moment because of required extra usage to keep in touch with home and everything going on here in New Zealand. Can't rely on WiFi only anymore and can't afford to pay roaming charges everyday. Help required Vodaphone. jlyon

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @jlyon 

I'm sure very UK network is putting things in place in connection to this unprecedented time with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Vodafone right now are putting further resource into the network to ensure people remain connected, eligible customers are having their data allowance looked at and some internet sites are now free to access. The announcement is at the top of the forum pages. 》Vodafone.co.uk - coronavirus-advice. 

In regards to your contract allowances / costs while abroad you'll need to either speak with customer services on 191 or in your case the while abroad number via Contact-us From abroad +44 7836 191 191(free from a Vodafone mobile) or Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries  as there is no account access assistance via the forum anymore.

If your phone is unlocked to all networks it might be cheaper to use a local sim card or if it isn't unlocked maybe buy a cheap phone and then use a local sim card. It's just a thought.

Personally I've not seen anything official yet from Vodafone in regards to adjusting contracts / adjusting roaming chatges etc.

My personal opinion is that for people stuck abroad who cannot get back home to the Uk they should !

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for that response - a local SIM would be just the ticket (!) but with lockdown here in Wellington only food shops are open. Maybe online ordering is possible - I'll look into it - and next time I'll get a local SIM when I arrive (just in case!). Would be good though if in the UK phones came with capacity to take two SIM cards. I've attempted to escalate my request to refund roaming charges for UK customers stuck abroad to the Vodaphone exectutive. It is after all an executive decision - to do the right thing that is. We will see.... although I'm guessing that comsumers will have long memories when this is all over and companies that show empathy might do well...... All the best to everyone reading and stay safe. jlyon.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @jlyon 

Some phones in the UK are Hybrid Duos Sim Card variants as I've owned the Note 9 which is to name one of quite a few.

It's certainly something to consider on your next upgrade maybe.

In hindsight yes a local sim would have been beneficial but you was not to know this would begin so fast. It's a shame the shops that are open don't sell sim cards like quite a lot of them do in the UK  :Sad_face:

As long as your above your normal usage which is because your having to ring loved ones, airlines, British Consulate, video calling loved ones then I'm sure Vodafone will on your return look at you case and extra charges incurred.

I'd think as long as a person isn't streaming intensively thus racking up massive bills then Vodafone would look at each claim on a case by case basis.

Vodafone I'm confident have listened to us here on the forum and to people who are tyring their best to be repatriated to the UK,  and hopefully will be doing something for them. Possibly extra data is a positive move to those in need while unable to return from abroad.

I wish you well and take care.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.