cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roam Further - Does it matter what network you roam on?

danielson00
2: Seeker

Hi,

This may sound a stupid question but..

If you are roaming in a Roam Further destination, does it matter which overseas network you roam on to benefit from the £6 cap.

For example in Ukraine, would this only apply on (eg) Vodafone Ukraine? Whereas if I roamed with Kyivstar or Lifecell (ie non Vodafone owned operators!) I would pay higher charges?

Thanks, Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chistery
16: Advanced member

If the roaming network allows you to access it and it works, you'll pay the same whatever the network is. It's not like you can opt out of roam further anyway,

Vodafone will often have roaming agreements with only one network anyway, so you can try and connect and get denied to the others. 

I often try them all and see which is the fastest and stay manually on that.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Even though other countries share the Vodafone Brand name they are not linked so when you arrive in a country your phone will try to connect to the best connection however this isn't always the best in the real world so you can attempt to manually choose another network. 

More info in..... Using-your-device-abroad.

" Will my phone connect to other networks when I go abroad?

When you arrive in a country, we’ll automatically connect you to the best available network. If this doesn’t happen, go to your phone’s settings and choose mobile network settings to manually search for and connect to a provider of your choice. "

As I understand this it shouldn't matter which one you elect to choose to roam on in connection to your accounts allowances. 

If you would like official clarification then customer service on 191 or Live Chat can do this for you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

donnyguy

Hey,

No - not at all.

I roamed this summer in Thailand, Malaysia and Oman (all of which are Roam Free destinations). 

In Thailand, the network the phone picked up seemed to be a 3G only network which was kinda slow so I manually roamed onto the AIS network which offered 4G.

But on the flip side, Vodafone don't offer access to all networks when roaming (e.g. in Greece I can access Vodafone Greece but can't access Cosmote).

But on the flip side, my work sim (belonging to another network) does the same thing in reverse, it'll hook up to Cosmote but not allow access to Vodafone GR. 

Long story short, if your sim allows access to the other operators, no you won't pay extra but don't be overly suprised if your sim insists you use Vodafone UA.

chistery

If the roaming network allows you to access it and it works, you'll pay the same whatever the network is. It's not like you can opt out of roam further anyway,

Vodafone will often have roaming agreements with only one network anyway, so you can try and connect and get denied to the others. 

I often try them all and see which is the fastest and stay manually on that.

danielson00

Thanks for replies.

However looking at this: https://www.vodafone.ua/en/privatnim-klientam/rates/vodafone-supernet-turbo I might just put a local SIM card in my old mobile. Thats £1.40 for 8GB data over a month. :Smiley_with_tongue_out:

@danielson00 wrote:

Thanks for replies.

However looking at this: https://www.vodafone.ua/en/privatnim-klientam/rates/vodafone-supernet-turbo I might just put a local SIM card in my old mobile. Thats £1.40 for 8GB data over a month. :Smiley_with_tongue_out:

Indeed - local sims are often better - of course it does mean that you will not receive calls / texts to your regular number etc...   Unless you have a dual sim phone, and I am not sure how they work on roaming.....