Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming Data in Croatia

Dylonius
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Last year I went to Croatia, one of Vodafone's many roam-free destinations where there are no additional charges for data usage. However, my data completely refused to work, even though I got a text from Vodafone saying it would. At the time I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 on pay monthly and I now have a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite on the same pay monthly contract. I am just wondering why it didn't work last time and if anyone can suggest any reason it didn't work. It didn't bother me on my last trip but I plan to go back in a few months and I will need to be able to use my data. I had data roaming enabled and the text clearly stated my data would be usable without issues.

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

As your roaming bars etc were off then your Vodafone account should have been good to go for roaming @Dylonius

Can I assume you were able to make calls and send texts and i see you could receive them as per the one from Vodafone UK ?

If so then the following issues may have been the case.

1. The phone has an internal bar and or setting to stop data usage while roaming or has a setting to set a usage amount.

2. The phones frequencies and bands may not have been fully compatible with the network you were wanting to use.

3. The network itself may have been experiencing issues.

4. Not too long ago there was a spate of threads from people who were experiencing issues when roaming.

Some good troubleshooting methods are to...

1. Double check with customer service that all bars / restrictions are off before leaving the UK.

2. Check the phones internal settings.

3. Try your sim card in another phone to help rule out the phone or sim card.

3. Manually choose another network in the phones connections settings.

Unfortunately the bottom line is that as Vodafone UK has no direct access or control on a foreign network they cannot guarantee everything will work as it should.

I would suggest to ensure your phone is unlocked to all networks so that you can use a local sim card if needs be.

Some phones are dual hybrid so a person can use two different sim cards in the phone at the same time which is very useful.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your reply.

I'll check with Live Chat about any remaining bars which might remain on my account but I really doubt it as I have spoken with them previousy. Worth double checking though.

My phone can have two SIMs at once so if absolutely necessary I suppose I could buy a local SIM when I next visit but I was really hoping I could get my Vodafone SIM working. I will also try and manually change my network while there and see if that helps.

AnnS

Hi @Dylonius

This is going to need further investigation from the team here on the forum to make sure there are no remaining bars on your account.

I have done a search of the forum and come across this previous thread, the next time you are in Croatia it may be worth trying some of the steps in the thread. https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/No-data-abroad-for-2-days/td-p/2596872

Unless the network has been changed 3G is only available in some Croatian cities and putting your phone on 3G only may help.

Thank you for your reply.

I can go have a check with Live Chat soon to see if any bars remain on my account. When I get back to Croatia, I'll also see if I can try manually changing my network to 3G and maybe that will solve this issue.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Dylonius

I hope things work for you the next time your in Croatia. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hey,

I was in Croatia at the end of last year and was using the A1 network without any issues at all (depending on your handset, it might still show as VIP as they rebranded from that in October).

Definitely worth taking Vodafone up on the offer to check your account as they'll be able to ensure you're working on arrival.