Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming charges

angecos
1: Seeker

I went to Dubai about 4 years ago and used my phone each day for an extra cost. I went on holiday to Dubai again 3 weeks ago, called before i went to check I could still use my phone for the extra charge and was told YES. They didn't tell me how much that extra charge would be?! Now home and I've checked my phone bill... which is HUGE - what happened to the £5 a day charge for using your phone and why wasn't this explained to me?! I wouldn't have used it if I was told normal charge rates would apply. I'm really disappointed that the person I spoke to didnt tell me this. Can you help? There is no way on earth I can pay this phone bill

6 REPLIES 6

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

When you arrived in Dubai what text messages did you receive advising you of the costs?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

AnnS

Hi @angecos

The United Arab Emirates are in the Rest of the World Zone 2.  Never trust Customer Services, always check things out for yourself, all the information you need can be found from the website.

Screenshot 2018-02-02 15.15.13.png

There should have been a credit limit on your account, this would have meant your service would have been immediately restricted when the credit limit was reached.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

I remember when the UAE was part of the World Traveller and was disappointed.

Out of interest, how much is the bill and did your service hit the 'Rest of world' limit (is it £50).

Reason I ask is a friend of mine on a rival network travelled through the UAE last week on the way to Thailand.

Switched her phone on and it used 4,5 meg of data whilst she was going through the menu to switch off data roaming. That 4,5 meg of data cost £22.48 (she's not a happy bunny)

Getafix

4.5mb would only be £3 extra. So not sure why £22.48? Since it is not a round figure, then could have received calls too.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@angecos - I’m sorry to hear you’ve received these unexpected charges.

It sounds like the person you spoke to, hadn’t realised the extra charge that you were thinking of.

We can look into this and feed it back.

When you arrived in Dubai, you should have received a text to advise of the charges (unless this service isn’t set up on your account).

This is something that we can check. Please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

donnyguy

@Getafix - She's not with Vodafone. She's with BT Mobile. They're charging £5 per MB anywhere outside the EU.