Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming further clarification needed.

rackstraw2006
4: Newbie

Me and the wife went to South Africa in November and made couple of text during our time. In total our bill went up over 2 months. If it was simply pay as you use it would have cost a lot less.

I returned mid December but only just seen the ofcom ruling and want to know what the right to cancel is.

I do not agree with this charge and am out of pocket. Okay it not a big amount but tried not to use the phone while their until an emergency came up.

I never received an mention about the right to cancel but did receive the text regarding the £6 rise.

According to the online chat I do not have the right but as i was made out of pocket ectra charges and do not agree the extra charges coming in place do I not have the right to cancel?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Here's the deal, the ruling over this wasn't about the charge itself. It was about the fact that people who were going to be materially disadvantaged by being moved onto the Roam Further (£6 per day flat charge) when they were on contracts that allowed them to roam and pay standard rates weren't told clearly enough in the messages they recieved that they had 30 days to leave. The people who were identified as being materially disadvantaged were the ones Vodafone could see reguarly roamed in what were to become roam free destinations and paid the standard charges.

So from your point, you went to South Africa. Got the messages saying how much it'd be and feel disadvantaged because you were charged. That's not a reason to leave. Did your package always have Roam Further on it (was it there when you signed up?). If not and it was added mid-contract then were you a regular roamer to South Africa and a payer of the standard rates?

Businesses make commerical decisions all the time. I see why some people feel sore at the Roam Further prices, especially if they're not using their phone much at all but anyone who was entitled to leave due to these changes were notified (and then notified again when OFCOM and Vodafone agreed that the original notifications weren't clear enough) and given 30 days from that notice in which to action.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Edit: Just re-read and just want to check that the issue here isn't the £5 to £6 price rise for Roam Further that you're wanting to cancel due to? If so, this wasn't what OFCOM were talking about. That particular rise is due to the fact the government have now added VAT to roaming charges outside of the EU. They were VAT free previously. That complaint needs to be sent to the chancellor rather than Vodafone 🙂

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

donnyguy

Here's the deal, the ruling over this wasn't about the charge itself. It was about the fact that people who were going to be materially disadvantaged by being moved onto the Roam Further (£6 per day flat charge) when they were on contracts that allowed them to roam and pay standard rates weren't told clearly enough in the messages they recieved that they had 30 days to leave. The people who were identified as being materially disadvantaged were the ones Vodafone could see reguarly roamed in what were to become roam free destinations and paid the standard charges.

So from your point, you went to South Africa. Got the messages saying how much it'd be and feel disadvantaged because you were charged. That's not a reason to leave. Did your package always have Roam Further on it (was it there when you signed up?). If not and it was added mid-contract then were you a regular roamer to South Africa and a payer of the standard rates?

Businesses make commerical decisions all the time. I see why some people feel sore at the Roam Further prices, especially if they're not using their phone much at all but anyone who was entitled to leave due to these changes were notified (and then notified again when OFCOM and Vodafone agreed that the original notifications weren't clear enough) and given 30 days from that notice in which to action.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Edit: Just re-read and just want to check that the issue here isn't the £5 to £6 price rise for Roam Further that you're wanting to cancel due to? If so, this wasn't what OFCOM were talking about. That particular rise is due to the fact the government have now added VAT to roaming charges outside of the EU. They were VAT free previously. That complaint needs to be sent to the chancellor rather than Vodafone 🙂

Thank you very much. I just could not understand what Ofcom said and who had a right to cancel. You have explained perfectly.

Thank you.

You are more than welcome!

Enjoy your Friday

I have just joined Vodaphone from Talkmobile and will receive my upgraded phone on Monday. Having decided I am  very upset to see this daily charge for long haul overseas use. I think I will be changing my mind and cancelling my contract. I only send a text to say I have arrived safely and might use one or two other texts during a stay but nothing else, so why would I want to pay £5 or £6 per day?  Also what is the deal? Your staff on the phone and in a Vodphone shop tell me £5 per day and yet on here it says £6. I am already very fed up with Vodaphone. Come back Talkmobile!

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

The charge WAS £5 a day but the government has changed the rules and now the cost is subject to VAT and that's why the cost has increased to £6.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thank you for your prompt reply. Any alternative suggestions for a pensioner who only needs to send one or two texts during a stay in Australia/New Zealand?

Getafix

There are a few options.

First one is to using chats like Whatsapp, FB Messenger, Twitter DM, iMessage, Samsung Chat.

Second is, as receiving is Free, ask your Friends or Relatives to call you. You could have a lot longer chat rather then one or two texts. :Winking_smiley:

jeffkinn

@Getafix wrote:

There are a few options.

First one is to using chats like Whatsapp, FB Messenger, Twitter DM, iMessage, Samsung Chat.

Second is, as receiving is Free, ask your Friends or Relatives to call you. You could have a lot longer chat rather then one or two texts. :Winking_smiley:

You need to make sure that you are using Wi Fi for Whatsapp etc and not mobile data as that will also incur the £6 daily charge.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thank you again.