Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming in EU after 11 June fair usage

barryd999
4: Newbie

I understand that after 11 June roaming charges are to be abolished.  The understanding I have from the EU is that it is intended for temporary visits and not if you are resident in a European country outside of the UK.  I did however see a fair usage policy T&C's on Vodafones website stating 2 months was their fair usage policy but that was for one of their roaming packages before the 11 June and before charges are to be abolished.

I am going away on holiday across several countries within the EU in a couple of weeks time.  I will be out of the UK for around three to four months.  Can I Assume that I will be able to use my SIM only contract package throughout that time within the EU just as I can here in the UK without incurring charges?  Does anyone have any facts or T&C's they can post.  I want concrete evidence that I will be free to use my minutes and data for up to four months in Europe.

11 REPLIES 11

chistery
16: Advanced member

Global Roaming T&Cs

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/mobile/calling-and-travelling-abroad/vodafo...

Is there a fair usage policy?

Yes. Roam-free is intended for periodic travel. It isn’t meant for users roaming on a semi-permanent or permanent basis. 

We’ll send you a text requesting you moderate your usage in our Roam-free destinations if you use them for a total of 2 months or more during any 4-month period. If your usage in any of our Roam-free destinations continues to exceed this allowance after a 2-week period from which you first received this text, we may charge you for further use or bar your roaming services. We’ll always let you know before we do this.

So I'd expect in month three of your holiday, you might be restricted. It wasn't designed for people to have four month holidays abroad.

Thanks but Roam Free as it was called was designed before the EU law regarding roaming rates came into force so really what that particular product was designed for is irrelevant.  What I would like to know is what the law actaully now states and what Vodafone are obliged to provide.  I am sure I saw some legislation a while back that stated as long as for the majority of the year (not two months) you used your phone in its home country then you should not pay roaming charges.    What I want to know is after the 11th how long I can use my phone for out of the UK.  Its a legitimate trip, I am not living out of the UK and its main use will be in the UK.

chistery

Then the page you probably want is this one:

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/roaming

If a person stays in another country within the EU longer than in his home country over a few months, the operator may contact him and ask to pay more.

So I'd say Vodafone are meeting their legal obligation.

Thanks again. 

In their T&C's its this bit that concerns me. 

"Is there a fair usage policy?

Yes. Roam-free is intended for periodic travel. It isn’t meant for users roaming on a semi-permanent or permanent basis. 

We’ll send you a text requesting you moderate your usage in our Roam-free destinations if you use them for a total of 2 months or more during any 4-month period. If your usage in any of our Roam-free destinations continues to exceed this allowance after a 2-week period from which you first received this text, we may charge you for further use or bar your roaming services. We’ll always let you know before we do this.

If its legally within Vodafones rights to start charging me after what looks like two and a half months I can live with that but what I Cannot afford to happen is for them to bar my roaming services or essentially cut me off!  I wonder if there is a way to get an assurance that this would never happen? 

I have had a long chat online with a vodafone agent this morning which I have a full transcript of which they eventually told me "Rest assured that you can use your data services for 4 months during your travel to Europe without any interruption"

Thats good to know (as long as it is true).  As said I dont mind if I end up having to pay something after say two and a half months but I cannot afford to me disconnected which was my main concern.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for updating us @barryd999.

If there's anything that we can help with during your trip, please let us know through Live Chat or when calling +44 7836 191 191 free from your Vodafone mobile.

Hope that you have a great time :smileyhappy:

Thats very kind thanks and the information I have had from the Vodafone team today has been helpful and reassuring.  It is a motorhome holiday but Im only semi retired so I need to stay connected even if its just for checking emails a couple of times or day or taking incoming calls.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

No problem @barryd999 :smileyhappy:

We're here to help should you need us in the future.

Having read the above posts I thought I would post this for info as what I have been told conflicts with these posts.

I too am a motorhomer and in a Vodaphone shop I asked about a data only sim to use in my mobile wifi while travelling. Whilst happy to hear that the full data allowance is available while roaming (unlike some who limit data use) and speeds are not throttled - I was told that under the Fair Use Policy I can access data for 2 months out of 4 while away. When I queried what this actually meant the shop did not know and suggested I speak to Customer Services.

I  have just had a very long online chat with CS and to cut a very long story short I was told that what it actually means is that I can use data roaming abroad for any 60 days out of 120 days. The days are calculated from your billing date each month - so for example if my billing date is 14 August I can use any 60 days from then in the next 120 days.

It was not easy to get this clarity and indeed I don't have confidence that this is correct even though I have a copy of the transcript of my chat.

If this is indeed correct it does not tie in with the above information in previous posts. It would be nice if Vodaphone would clarify this on their website to save confusion.