Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming maximum time use

torounia
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hey there community.

I can't find anywhere on Vodafone's website about roaming maximum time abroad.
I have a SIM only pay monthly deal and I will be traveling in Europe soon for a few months without coming back to the UK until September.

Is there a time limit, or any other limitation I am not aware of, on how many months I can be abroad on roaming mode continuously?
Thanks in advance

Tas

12 REPLIES 12

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @torounia

I believe this is four weeks and Vodafone will send a text message asking you to limit roaming usage, roam free is only really intended for short periodic travel such as holiday use.  However, there should be nothing stopping you from roaming paying as out of bundle and this should be at UK rates.

If the phone is unlocked an alternative is a SIM card for the country you are visiting.

As you are going to be out of the UK for an extended period, live chat will be the best place to ask for further advise.

@AnnS wrote:

Hi @torounia

I believe this is four weeks and Vodafone will send a text message asking you to limit roaming usage, roam free is only really intended for short periodic travel such as holiday use.  However, there should be nothing stopping you from roaming paying as out of bundle and this should be at UK rates.

If the phone is unlocked an alternative is a SIM card for the country you are visiting.

As you are going to be out of the UK for an extended period, live chat will be the best place to ask for further advise.

Thanks for the reply AnnS.

I tried both phone and live chat to get a concrate answer but live chat told me there is no limit where through the phone I ve been told its 3 months. 

I undestand you are not employed by Vodafone and once again thanks for the reply but is there someone from Vodafone that can give me a concrate answer?

Thanks

Tas

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @torounia, thanks for getting in touch. 

Our Vodafone Global Roaming proposition is intended for periodic travel and not for users roaming on a semi-permanent or permanent basis.

We'll send you a text requesting you moderate your usage of services in our Roam-free zones, if 50% or more of the days you have used our services have occurred abroad within any four month rolling period.

If your usage in our Global Roaming zone continues to exceed 50% (as described above) over a 2-week period following our notification, we may bar your roaming Services. We’ll always let you know before we do this.

I hope that clears things up for you, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to get back in touch. 

AnnS

Hi @TJ

Just want to clarify with you.

You mention a four month period. 

Would that mean customers would be able to roam free for four months after which time they would receive a text message asking them to moderate usage and would still be able to continue roaming for a further two weeks until cut off ?

Would there be any reason for customers being unable to roam paying the charges and avoid being disconnected?

Only it's not very clear.

Getafix
16: Advanced member

To me it sounds like after 2 months of continuos Roaming, it will stop. This is because you have reached 50% of the 4 Months.

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@AnnS What @Getafix has said is essentially the best way to put it. Once 50% of a four month period has been used on roaming services, we'll send a notification advising to stop further roaming to avoid bars being placed. There's no specific timeframe, it's dependant on the customers usage within the four month period.

@TJ Thanks for the reply.  I am a bit confused aswell. Could you answer my questions below? 

See my questions below in blue. Thanks

@TJ wrote:

Hey @torounia, thanks for getting in touch. 

Our Vodafone Global Roaming proposition is intended for periodic travel and not for users roaming on a semi-permanent or permanent basis.

We'll send you a text requesting you moderate your usage of services in our Roam-free zones, if 50% or more of the days you have used our services have occurred abroad within any four month rolling period.

When does the four month rolling period start? the momment I start travel? If I come back to the UK lets say for 4 days, Does the 4 month period reset?

If your usage in our Global Roaming zone continues to exceed 50% (as described above) over a 2-week period following our notification, we may bar your roaming Services. We’ll always let you know before we do this.

By usage you mean being in roaming mode and use of my phone? Can I just have my phone ON and  only receive calls from the UK without use of internet or making calls? 

when you say bar my roaming services, does that include blocking my number so I cant receive calls? 

I hope that clears things up for you, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to get back in touch. 

Getafix

I don't understand the logic of why mods are mentioning 4 months? Unless Vodafone says there is a maximum 4 months roaming permitted in a year.

My understanding was you cannot Roam more 8 weeks at a stretch, and have to be back in UK before the 8 Weeks are up.

The 8 Week period starts the first time you connect to a Roaming Network. It does not matter whether you use your phone or not, connection to a Network is considered Roaming.

The Only exception to above is when you are Roaming in a Country where Roam Further or better Roaming option is not Available as in that Country you are paying the Standard Roaming Charges.

I tried looking for the 8 Week mention (which is approx 2 months that is mentioned in other posts) but could not find it. Infact, I cannot find any T&Cs for Roaming.

Probably one of the Mods could share a copty of the Full T&Cs.

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We've no specific Tc&Cs for roaming @Getafix. It's part of our acceptable use policy, and also forms part of our airtime agreements.

You can find the details here: https://vodafone.uk/2KXoDu1

Blair