Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming

Kdubb7
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Why is it that VF can offer us free calls and texts and data when travelling in europe however this is not achievable when in the uk and wanting to call anywhere in europe? Seems a little daft to enable VF customers to call and text and roam free without charges whilst in europe yet it does not work the other way from our home country where one would expect this to be the free to call into europe!

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Kdubb7

The reason for this is roaming in the EU is regulated whereas calling abroad from the UK is unregulated.

If you need to call an overseas number you can add an extra, at least then you won't be charged the full price for calling the country.  This information can be found here: Vodafone Extras.

I think this is a mute point as I have just been stung £5 a day for 3 days in Egypt for incoming calls when I was assured that incoming calls and texts were FOC!! Not impressed and cannot trust VF advise. I am looking at getting a stand alone global sim now. Thinking that being a SME business would have made a difference. When I was working for a corporate company my mobile bill was averaging £25 per month and I used the phone for calling globally and frequently (on VF network).

AnnS

Hi @Kdubb7

Egypt is a roam further destination and you will be charged the roam further charge of £6.00 per day for using your phone for outgoing.  If you have data roaming and mobile data turned on your phone would probably made a data connection and accessed the internet and this will be the reason for the charge. However, you will not be charged for receiving calls or texts.

The best thing to do is to go through your bill, you will probably find you have used your data in Egypt and this will be the reason for the daily roam further charge.  The best thing is to make sure your data is turned off and only use WiFi where available.

AnnS - My roaming charge per day when "Roaming Further" is in fact £5 per day and not £6! I will not be utilizing VF for any roaming what so ever going forward. Thanks for your time anyway.

AnnS

Hi @Kdubb7

You need to look at the VAT on the bill, when the tax has been added this will bring the roam further charge to £6.00.