Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Note 10 Plus 5G

AFM
4: Newbie

Do Vodafone still fiddle with ROMs? I.e is there a Vodafone splash screen on boot up Or is the phone unbranded?

thanks,

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Not too sure about a splash screen when booting up the phone @AFM ,  but Yes it will have Vodafones blend of firmware on it and their particular Csc code

It will have Vodafones choice of network apps on it out of the box. Some will be able to be uninstalled.

To add it will be locked to the Vodafone Network until you reach the required criteria to have it unlocked i.e 30 days using the sim in it and x3 Bill's paid on time or a Vodafone Payg sim card used for 30 days making calls etc.

The only way to get an unbranded Samsung phone is to buy directly from Samsung which is something I choose to do.

The Samsung N10+ 5G I'm using is an awesome phone by the way    :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

That's cool, more or less what I though.

I've had un-branded phones for the last 6-8 years, Note 8, Nokia 1020, Nokia 920, HTc Titan. Don't need to tell you about the pros and cons of each.

Still, they don't get to do it fruity products, really irritating, not a fan of them tbh.

Was looking at the Note 10 and wanted the plus 5G 512mb and was quite disappointed that Vodafone in there wisdom (and direct from the other providers) were short sighted and only offer the 256mb version. Really irritating especially if you want a fruity one, vodafone are tripping over themselves to offer every connotation possible. 🙄

BandOfBrothers

@AFM wrote:

That's cool, more or less what I though.

I've had un-branded phones for the last 6-8 years, Note 8, Nokia 1020, Nokia 920, HTc Titan. Don't need to tell you about the pros and cons of each.

Still, they don't get to do it fruity products, really irritating, not a fan of them tbh.

Was looking at the Note 10 and wanted the plus 5G 512mb and was quite disappointed that Vodafone in there wisdom (and direct from the other providers) were short sighted and only offer the 256mb version. Really irritating especially if you want a fruity one, vodafone are tripping over themselves to offer every connotation possible. 🙄

Nowadays @AFM  an unbranded phone does not necessarily receive firmware and security updates quicker than a branded phone. 

This I've experienced through my own personal experience.

I choose to buy unbranded because it is network app free and comes already unlocked and has Samsungs own CsC code on it.

iPhones are not touched because Apple own their iOS which is different to android as its multi platform.

Because Android is open sourced network apps known as bloatware can be either uninstalled or if the normal uninstall wont allow it then there are package disabler options in the Playstore but one has to be very careful and what is disabled.

I had the Note 9 512gb option but to be honest I came no where near to using that amount of internal storage which is why I chose the 256Gb Note 10+ 5G direct from Samsung.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

So, I got my Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus 5G... Auraglow, 512GB and also got a 512GB memory card. The 1TB's were just that little bit too expensive.  

Now, same problem I had with my Note 8 (sorted eventually), account is activated for wifi calling, volte active on the phone but no menu option to turn on wifi calling 🤨

So irritating, my daughters A40 from carphone s**t house worked straight out the box on wifi calling.

Sorted.  Spoke to Vodafone Tech and updated the IMEI number on the system for the new phone.  All working now.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Great stuff @AFM - I'm glad to hear your Wi-Fi Calling's back up and running again! 

AnnS

Hi @AFM 

When buying direct from Vodafone where an Android phone is concerned you will find baked in apps preinstalled which you won't find on the unbranded version.

When software updates are pushed out with the network needing to test and approve the update after the manufacturer has been released an open market version there will be a delay before it is pushed out by Vodafone. Although some of the information could do with some updating this is confirmed here: Firmware Policy. Also, the phone will have the Vodafone splashscreen which cannot be removed.

The best way to find out about branding is to visit a Vodafone store and ask to see a working demonstration.