Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Scam Vodafone Call

akeister
9: Established

I recieved a call from a Number (01709 918608) on my mobile, satating they were Vodafone and as I have three lines with them, I was entitled to an early upgrade (They knew my upgradedate ia April)

It sounded too good to be true, so I contacted Voda on the main web page in the Web Chat.

They are telling me that this is a scam call.

So all, be careful if you get a call from this tel number

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @akeister

This will be the Outsourced Sales Team calling from Rotherham.  You can see the numbers Vodafone use for calling below.   Although 918608 is not on the list and has probably only recently been added, 918609 is on the list.

Numbers Vodafone use for calling?

If you do not want to be bothered with sales calls, the easiest way to stop the calls is to ask them not to call again, live chat will be able to make sure you are opted out of all sales and marketing calls, including marketing texts.

akeister
9: Established

Strange.

Its the Web Chat people that have told me its a scam call?

Surely they should have a list of Voda numbers?

I am now confused.....

User2004
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

01709918608 has called me multiple times this week from Rotherham. I do not use my mobile for telephone calls so they are never going to get through. I have never consented to vodafone contacting me by telephone (I prefer posted letter or emails). I did receive a text first from Vodafone which seems to have disappeared now without my deleting it saying someone would contact me by telephone but without saying why they would as far as I remembe,r  but it is all a complete mystery to me.

I have simply had and paid for my account with vodafone for at least 15 years without having the hassle of someone having to make telephone calls me to me and calling so many times it feels like a bailiff is trying to recover money, calls at all times of day. It is unacceptable.

I have now texted STOP to 9774 but apparently it takes 28 days to removed from a marketing list I don't believe I ever consented to be on in the first place. If Vodafone has to speak to me about my account it should post me a letter. I am not clear as to why it would need to contact me at all.

Has Vodafone cleared this with its in house solicitors? It does seem to me under both DPA 1998 and GDPR next month that they are muddling up service and marketing calls here and need a bit more legal advice on the issue.

Tsathoggua
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

I don't mean to be funny, but if you have a mobile phone contract with Vodafone and they need to contact you they are going to call (or possibly text) you on your mobile in the first instance.  The clue is in the term - mobile PHONE.   They don't do snail mail unless you owe them money and they can't raise you on your mobile - and then they don't always seem to bother writing, but go straight to defaulting you.    I think if you read the current Ts and Cs you'll find they give themselves the right to contact you in this manner unless you opt out.

Having said that, these calls are coming from their pet outsourced sales and marketing mob in Rotherham, and they're a bit like the Reader's Digest mailing list - once you're on it there is no escape.  The only way you are likely to get this lot off your back is by actually answering one of their calls and telling them precisely what they can do with whatever they're trying to sell you.  Try it - you may be pleasantly surprised !!

I get your point but my mobile is never turned on for sound and we have poor signal here. I use it for emails when out on business and for text chat with younger family members so Rotherham can call me 1000 times and they are not going to get through. I have now texted STOP so presumably 28 days or whatever it is they have by law to have opted me out and the problem should not occur again.

It is a strange thing however as I have been with Vodafone for years and have not had to have any phone calls from them. I just get an email notification of a bill and I keep paying so I am not sure why they would need a telephone conversation with me and don't want one.

So far today they have not yet tried to get through thankfully as it's disrupting to see the phone flashing away whilst I'm trying to work even though it's on silent.

hrym

When I took out a new number, one of the first calls it got was a marketing one.  I asked not to be contacted again and I haven't had a call since then.   I'm not sure where the call originated, but anyone representing Vodafone ought to be able to opt you out.

Boudicia22
1: Seeker

Hi, I’m not sure why webchat tond you it’s a scam call. It’s not. It is Vodafone. They are based in the Dearne valley area of rotherham, along with many other call centres. They are calling to offer upgrades, and to give you options on discounted deals and stuff on other devices like tablets and iPads at prices not available on their website and only available to existing customers. They don’t take your bank details or anything they add any extras to your phone account. I got a brand new tablet from them with 5gb data, ms office which is installed and free, can plug in my flash drive and got a keyboard for it to replace my laptop, for less than £15 a month. Good deal it’s perfect and does exactly what I wanted. Bargain. Also they ask you if you’re happy to stay on their call list, you can remove yourself using the Vodafone app or they will do it. Just ask. If you hang up they will call again till they have your answer yes or no to the offers. Once you answer the calls will stop. It’s nothing dodgy they are just offering discounted products.