Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Security code SMS

Milzee
4: Newbie

Since this week I am being forced to request an SMS every time I try to log onto the Vodaphone website. I assumed this was a one off security feature to verify my password but I have had to ask for a new SMS about six times now. Is therte any way this can be switched off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Personally, I am glad Vodafone have added an extra security feature to secure our accounts.

Now we have to verify the code, this should help stop any potential unauthorised access to our account.

View solution in original position

38 REPLIES 38

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
"Not raid your bank account" Are you sure? There have been few posts here on the Forum about Account being compromised and all sorts of Fraud happening.

Theakstone
12: Established
12: Established
Don't forget, if you pay by DD, Vodafone have your bank details linked to your online account. There are some very clever people out there, and they are not all nice people.
As far as I am concerned the more security they have the better.

Nabs
A friend of mine recently had her bank account cleaned out. As part of the scam they somehow (not figured it out yet) managed to forward all calls to her mobile (not a Vodafone customer) to another phone in their position, this allowed them to complete security requests from her bank. There was obviously prior knowledge of her details but it does highlight how important security is on your no one account. They may not actually get your bank details but they could still cause havoc.
Vodafone introduction of 2FA is a fantastic step. If may be inconvenient but so is getting your identity stolen

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@Nabs wrote:
As part of the scam they somehow (not figured it out yet) managed to forward all calls to her mobile (not a Vodafone customer) to another phone in their possession, this allowed them to complete security requests from her bank. 

As part of the changes to the accounts system, Vodafone has made it impossible to set up call forwarding from your online account. It now requires you to set up any call forwarding from the phone itself, which may sometimes add a layer of inconvenience, but is an added protection against this sort of scam.

KatieLou_2
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have gone through the purgatory that is the "customer service" system.  It is new to them too and comments vary depending on the person you speak to, however 2/3 advisors said that this is a new and permanent situation, so I am going with that.  It is Two Factor Authentication, i.e. it involves something you know (e.g. password/username) as well as something personal that you have on you (phone), which is an ideal level of security for some, but unfortunately will alienate many customers who don't necessarily have vodafone signal (at all) or don't have it when they have access to their computers, and vice versa.  It is a complete pain if you can't readily receive the code, and I suspect some people needing to access their accounts will be doing so for a variety of reasons, one of which might be that they don't have signal and want to avoid calling...  I like the posted comment about getting the code to a landline though - just need a way of getting that landline number into "My Vodafone" without having to enter purgatory again to set it up.

This system is good when in the uk or in a country that your number can be used. I travel extensively and often find myself using a local sim rather than roaming on my vodafone sim and in a lot of cases im in areas with no mobile signal just wifi. I knwo i am only one of a few but it is infuriting not being able to access my vodafone account when overseas with only a wif connection.

is their a workaround?

Nabs

Unfortunately not @RICHSAV79, It's a real pain in the behind!

The only options at the moment is to add an alternative number to the account, maybe someone back home who can forward the message to you?

I have suggested Vodafone use the registered email address (like Micorsoft do for their developer accounts) but that idea was rejected. 😞

Annie_N

It might be difficult, but I'm not convinced it's impossible.

Firstly, to get the possibility out of the way, I have just tried entering a US friend's mobile number as an alternative number on my account, and it was rejected as an invalid number - so putting your local SIM number in isn't going to work.

But, do you have access to your home landline number's voicemail, eg by Skype, while you're away? I do, and I think that just about opens up a possibility. If you have your landline as one of the alternative numbers, the code is sent to that as a voice text. Then, provided you can get to your voicemail within 20 minutes, you will be able to listen to your code, then enter it into the 2LA page, and you should be there. I hope, downhill with a following wind, and other such provisos! 

Logically one could try it out from home, so do you want to give it a go, and see if you can do it within the required 20 minutes? I've got a work deadline just at present, so can't experiment right now, but I'll give it a shot later!

My problem is that the security code is not received by my mobile. My landline receives it OK but that is no use when I am away from home. Six attempts to correct this via Live Chat have resuted in an account that has been re-registered three times, and contains out-of-date security info.

The two stage check is useless unless we can have an alternative email address to receive the code.

My problem is that the security code is not received by my mobile. My landline receives it OK but that is no use when I am away from home. Six attempts to correct this via Live Chat have resuted in an account that has been re-registered three times, and contains out-of-date security info.

The two stage check is useless unless we can have an alternative email address to receive the code.