Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Security code SMS

Milzee
4: Newbie

Since this week I am being forced to request an SMS every time I try to log onto the Vodaphone website. I assumed this was a one off security feature to verify my password but I have had to ask for a new SMS about six times now. Is therte any way this can be switched off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Personally, I am glad Vodafone have added an extra security feature to secure our accounts.

Now we have to verify the code, this should help stop any potential unauthorised access to our account.

View solution in original position

38 REPLIES 38

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@Hesadevil

I'm not offering an alternative solution here, just trying to figure out what's going on. Is it that the message to your mobile arrives very late, or not at all? And have you been able to experiment with a different mobile number, eg a family member's number, as an alternative on your list?

I have my Vodafone mobile number, a back-up mobile number with another network, and my home landline number all registered as alternatives on my account. Sometimes, whichever number I choose, the message comes through very promptly, sometimes it seems to matter. When the messages are coming through slowly, the messages to the landline are by far the quickest and are rarely so late that they are invalid upon receipt, while the other network is usually faster than the messages to the Vodafone number. I assume that, in my case, it's simply a matter of how the texts are handled at the various points in their journey, but it seems strange that the one involving what I assume to be the most elaborate processes is usually the quickest.

Not that there is much point in "text racing", except as an attempt to garner information, since it is only the last code requested that will actually be able to open the account. And the information garnered hasn't yet been sufficient to cast much light on anything.

Thanks for a response. Does Vodaphone Tech support ever visit these forums?

Not getting through at all to my mobile, although I receive codes when customer support sends me one during live chat sessions. They assume that the problem is solved and assure me it's fixed. Well it's not.

I've even done a hard break (Power off, SIM out, Wait, SIM in, power on, but though that updates my details it doesn't solve the AWAL SMS code problem) .

I receive the code very fast on the alternatives I've set up on my landline or husband's mobile, but what do I do when neither is available?

Annie_N

Thanks for the clarification, @Hesadevil, that certainly suggests that there's a problem hiding somewhere within your account, although clearly Live Chat hasn't located it.

Yes, the Vodafone Tech Team does monitor the Forum, but won't tend to get involved in issues where fellow-customers will know and offer the standard workarounds. However, where no-one seems to know an answer, or where there appears to be an account-specific aspect, the Team will do their best to help. So hang on in here for a bit, until someone from the Team has an opportunity to advise further.

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@RICHSAV79 wrote:

I travel extensively and often find myself using a local sim rather than roaming on my vodafone sim......

is their a workaround?

Question for you, If you are not using your Vodafone Number overseas, then why do you need to check it when away?

Other Option is to use the Vodafone App on your when you have WiFi.to give you the Summary.

I don't check my account very often online but I recently mislaid my phone. I needed to block ir online but wasn't aware of the 2-step security check until then. It's irritating to not be able to login on my laptop without going through the rigmarole of SMS code. Surely a second email address for this would be better?

Hi @Hesadevil

I've sent you a private message so that we can help with this further.

Regards,

Meg-B

I had a call from your tech department but am still experiencing the same problem with non-receipt of code via SMS.

Annie_N

@Hesadevil

Have you had an email correspondence with a reference number something like #14******? If you reply to the most recent email, saying that the problem is still there, that will be the quickest way to move things along. Or, if the only email was an acknowledgement, give the reference number here, so that the Team can pick up your case again.

To be honest, I can't be bothered. I have not the time to devote to what is not my problem, but Vodaphone's. 

This has been ongoing since the login was changed to a two step system. There have been at least 8 attempts to solve the problem, none of which have worked. My SMS service is working for everything else. The two step security is definitely NOT working for me. It would be better to have use an email address to send the code, or a secondary online verification method.

Hi @Hesadevil

As Annie_N has advised, I recommend replying to the last email you received from us. 

This reopens the case and the team will continue to look for a resolution and be back in touch as soon as they can.

Regards, 

Meg-B