Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sim Strangeness

Redfort
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I've got a Nokia 230 with a Vodafone contract sim that I've been on for 20+ years.

Now here's the strange behaviour: when I dial another mobile, I can hear it ringing on my phone; BUT when I dial a landline, my phone remains silent, but it is ringing at the landline end.

If someone answers the landline, the conversation can continue as normal.

I've changed my sim with Vodafone but the behaviour still happens exactly as before. BUT if I drop another sim in (say EE) the phone rings a landline as normal and I can hear it ringing at my end.

Has anybody had this strange behaviour and how was it resolved? It's driving me crazy!

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

As a process of elimination can you try your Vodafone Sim Card in another phone too to see what happens @Redfort 

If it works as expected on another phone then something or some preference setting on the phone is causing this.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I've tried it in another phone and even put my Nokia back to factory settings and it is still the same.

AnnS

Hi @Redfort 

This can be one of two things, a fault with Vodafone or a fault at the landline end where the call is routed to the landline but fails to emit the ringing tone to your Vodafone number.

Either way, this is going to need further investigation from Vodafone to find the reason for the fault.  The best thing to do is to speak to the Team here on the forum and they can be contacted by following this link.

Contact us for account specific queries

After spending hours with Vodafone CS the fault was not resolved. However, I found the solution myself by trial and error.

To work correctly, it appears that Vodafone sims require a phone of at least 2.5G. Phones restricted to 2G can act strangely (as with my Nokia 230).

As soon as I tried the sim in a 2.5G or 3G phone, everything worked fine.

I'm now using a Nokia 216 (2.5G) phone and all problems are now resolved.

I hope this information helps anyone having similar problems.