Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sim only 12 month contract

gazmix8
4: Newbie

Hi

I didn't know my 18 month contract was up in a few days and couldn't get to store to go to sim only so I called Vodafone.

I was on 6GB a month with unlimited texts n calls and that was £15 but because I've been loyal since 2009 I can have 20GB for £17 over 12 months which I went for.

I then realised that if my phone malfunctions in the first 3 months until I can upgrade to a new phone I have to 'sit it out' until the 3 months are up yet I'm a loyal customer.

Is there anything I can do incase the phone has issues as its 18 months old.? 

Many thanks 

14 REPLIES 14

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @gazmix8 

Taking out a SIM only contract means providing your own phone in return for a paying less for your monthly line rental, this suits some people who like to constantly change phones or have the cash flow to purchase a new phone.

The problem you are going to have is the  Flexible Upgrade option when taking out a SIM only contract.  At least after 3 months you will have the benefit of Vodafone writing off what remains of the SIM only contract.

If you need an upgrade before the 3 month payment has been taken you can only ask, but this is the same for all SIM only customers.

There is more on flexible upgrades from support:  SIM only flexible upgrades

Hi and thanks. 

I like my phone and want to keep for many reasons because I like the size and some phones don't have certain apps installed that I need. 

Yes I can only ask if the worst happened. 

Is the '3 month until upgrade phone' the same on pay monthly sim only plans please. 

AnnS

Hi @gazmix8 

Yes it's the same for all 12 month SIM only, Vodafone write off what remains after 3 months and let you upgrade to a full contract with a phone.

If you upgrade after the six months period on a pay monthly contract, Vodafone add on an early upgrade charge on a monthly basis and this can work out to be very expensive option:  Please see here:  flexi upgrades

Thanks. 

The phone had an issue a few months ago with call screen not being displayed whilst in the 18 month contract and the guy in Vodafone shop said he could flash the phone in store to fix the problem, 

Do I still have the same in store help etc on a sim only contract

It's bad that if anything happened to the phone during the 3 months there's nothing that can be done.

Thanks 

AnnS

Hi @gazmix8 

The phone will still have the same 24 month warranty.

Hopefully there won't be any problems and you will get through the 3 months and then have the peace of mind knowing you will be able to get a flexible upgrade with a new device.

Ah so even though the phone is old the shop can flash repair up to 24 days that's great.

The guy on the phone said if my phone malfunctions within the 3 months I'm on my own and would have to buy a new phone or take it elsewhere for repair. Confusing. 

Is there a 14 day option to get out of the contract. I hope I don't need to but if anything happens I'll be in a mess cos i need mi phone. 

AnnS

Yes @gazmix8. All contracts come with 14 days to return the contract and cancel.

Take a look at 30 day contracts, more expensive and you won't get a discount but can cancel with 30 days notice. 

Thanks AnnS. 

I wish I'd gone for month to month contract now instead of 12 month ... I hope they can change this in the local Vodafone shop with the option to change contract. 

It just seemed better to have 20gb for £17 that I don't need then 5gb for £15..

Thanks.