main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Pay monthly

Sim swap scam

Highlighted
3: Seeker

Has anyone been a victim of this?

View more options
20 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

You’ll need to explain your rather cryptic comment 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

As it says.....

unknown person going into shop, pretending to be someone they are not..........to get a SIM card for someone else’s phone, then using that phone for illegal activities 

View more options
Who have you told about this? Vodafone? The police?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

Vodafone.......who have investigated, and closed the investigation.

Bank...........as my son has been scammed out of a substantial amount of money

Action fraud agency.......who have taken on case.

View more options

For those if any who work in Vodafone shops

what is the procedure for getting another SIM card???

View more options

Hello @Regan55

I'm not a Vodafone employee. 

The process to have a replacement SIM card if the original one isn't the right size any more due to phone model change and if the current SIM card isn't a multi SIM where the different sizes are already cut and push out of each other or your sim is faulty is to visit a Vodafone High street Store where they will SIM swap to move your tariff and number to a new card. This process usually takes around 10 or so minutes but can occasionally take 24 hours. 

Another option is to ask for a blank SIM card to be sent out in the post and the account holder processes the SIM swap. The SIM card has to be a blank one. 

More info in Vodafone simswap.  and What-is-a-SIM-swap.

If a SIM card has been lost or stolen then Vodafone block it after being advised by the account holder and send out a new card to the UK registered address. The block applied will need to be removed by calling customer service or using Live Chat to remove it before it'll work. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

A few years ago one of my work colleagues Vodafone sim card suddenly stopped working. 

They then had money taken from their Bank Account @Regan55

It seemed the parties who did this SIM swapped my colleagues number as part of Identity Theft so they could use that at the bank to get access to the account. 

This is why it's much harder now just to walk into a Network Store and ask for a Blank SIM Card without being asked relevant questions. 

My colleagues bank returned the funds and Vodafone sorted out their part to get her account back up and working and added security passwords etc. 

View more options

So if someone walks in off the street in any store, and asks for another sim for a particular phone number, what should happen?

View more options

Hi @Regan55

If you are thinking Vodafone Store staff would simply activate a replacement SIM card and hand it over without asking data protection questions that is wrong. The store would look at the account and ask the person for proof of identity.

If your Son has has been the victim of identity theft, he needs to look at where he keeps his personal information and what he throws in the bin with his home address, someone had enough information on him to answer security questions and pass data protection.

It might also be worth him checking his credit report to make sure any other accounts have not been taken out in his name.

Credit reference agencies are there to help with cases of identity theft and it might be worth him making contact for advise and support.

View more options

Apparently, all you need is Name, DOB, and postcode and they will do a sim swap in store,

pretty much most of this info on all of us is not hard to find..

He had a text from Vodafone asking if he authorised this...........but, as he cannot have his phone on him all the time (He’s in Army, on exercise) they issued a new card, without waiting for authorisation. Hence giving then control.

so sorry AnnS..........you are wrong

How they got/had his bank details is beyond me.........but he’s not silly.

View more options

I'm sorry to see this has happened to your son @Regan55. So we can investigate this, please ask him to contact us using the link in the private message I've just sent.

View more options

Vodafone have investigated, and closed investigations 

As much use as a chocolate ashtray, and totally disgusting., and will be taken further

View more options

One of the processes is that Vodafone send a text to the original SIM card and number and then that code is used to progress the SIM swap. 

That is if the SIM can recieve texts in the first place. If not then a person would need to get through security protocols but if an unscrupulous person has managed to acrue enough ID then yes it can happen. These people are expert in identity theft which we hear about and just doesn't include mobile phone contracts but as your aware banks have been duped and that's the reason they your bank have a fraud department and if an investigation supports fraud then they'll typically return the funds. 

View more options

How can Vodafone open and shut the investigation so quickly, involving such an amount.

I asked them if they get involved with the banks fraud dept.......apparently not.

It really smacks of a cover up

View more options

Why would you expect Vodafone and a bank to work together?  They are wholly unrelated organisations and there is no way a bank would allow a third party company to become involved in an investigation. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

Fraud departments work together..........this is a major fraud for God’s sake.

This fraud could not have been done without the other.

View more options
Your evidence for that co-operation is what may I ask? How much are we talking about?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

Hi @Regan55

Your Son has been the unfortunate victim of identity theft, you need to hold the scumbags who used his details responsible for this.

However, it is not even necessary to go to a store for a SIM swap, if the scammers had access to your Son's account details they could easily have ordered a replacement SIM online and activated the SIM online by completing this form.  

It's an awful feeling that this has happened, someone out there is pretending to be your Son and using his name and he probably never will find out how it happened but he now needs to work with the financial organisations and credit reference agencies and get any fraudulent activities removed.

From the sound of things Vodafone may have done their investigations as far as can be and your Son's Vodafone account should be clear.  

I hope your Son gets it solved and can put the dreadful experience behind him.

View more options

Jeff........it’s almost 30k

Deposit for his flat that he was supposed to be completing at the end of this week.........That’s in jeopardy now, and he may have to pull out.

View more options