Has anyone been a victim of this?

22 REPLIES 22

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

You’ll need to explain your rather cryptic comment 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

As it says.....

unknown person going into shop, pretending to be someone they are not..........to get a SIM card for someone else’s phone, then using that phone for illegal activities 

jeffkinn
Who have you told about this? Vodafone? The police?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Vodafone.......who have investigated, and closed the investigation.

Bank...........as my son has been scammed out of a substantial amount of money

Action fraud agency.......who have taken on case.

BandOfBrothers

A few years ago one of my work colleagues Vodafone sim card suddenly stopped working. 

They then had money taken from their Bank Account @Regan55

It seemed the parties who did this SIM swapped my colleagues number as part of Identity Theft so they could use that at the bank to get access to the account. 

This is why it's much harder now just to walk into a Network Store and ask for a Blank SIM Card without being asked relevant questions. 

My colleagues bank returned the funds and Vodafone sorted out their part to get her account back up and working and added security passwords etc. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

what is cryptic about this comment, exactly, Jeff? Regan do you have any update at all?

hrym

This is quite a old thread and the matter was subsequently discussed and explained.   It's certainly a known thing and all networks say they have procedures in place to prevent it.   With SMS being increasingly used for 2FA, it's important.

Regan55
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

For those if any who work in Vodafone shops

what is the procedure for getting another SIM card???

BandOfBrothers

Hello @Regan55

I'm not a Vodafone employee. 

The process to have a replacement SIM card if the original one isn't the right size any more due to phone model change and if the current SIM card isn't a multi SIM where the different sizes are already cut and push out of each other or your sim is faulty is to visit a Vodafone High street Store where they will SIM swap to move your tariff and number to a new card. This process usually takes around 10 or so minutes but can occasionally take 24 hours. 

Another option is to ask for a blank SIM card to be sent out in the post and the account holder processes the SIM swap. The SIM card has to be a blank one. 

More info in Vodafone simswap.  and What-is-a-SIM-swap.

If a SIM card has been lost or stolen then Vodafone block it after being advised by the account holder and send out a new card to the UK registered address. The block applied will need to be removed by calling customer service or using Live Chat to remove it before it'll work. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.