Ask

Solution

Sim swap scam

Regan55
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Has anyone been a victim of this?

22 REPLIES 22

So if someone walks in off the street in any store, and asks for another sim for a particular phone number, what should happen?

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Regan55

If you are thinking Vodafone Store staff would simply activate a replacement SIM card and hand it over without asking data protection questions that is wrong. The store would look at the account and ask the person for proof of identity.

If your Son has has been the victim of identity theft, he needs to look at where he keeps his personal information and what he throws in the bin with his home address, someone had enough information on him to answer security questions and pass data protection.

It might also be worth him checking his credit report to make sure any other accounts have not been taken out in his name.

Credit reference agencies are there to help with cases of identity theft and it might be worth him making contact for advise and support.

Apparently, all you need is Name, DOB, and postcode and they will do a sim swap in store,

pretty much most of this info on all of us is not hard to find..

He had a text from Vodafone asking if he authorised this...........but, as he cannot have his phone on him all the time (He’s in Army, on exercise) they issued a new card, without waiting for authorisation. Hence giving then control.

so sorry AnnS..........you are wrong

How they got/had his bank details is beyond me.........but he’s not silly.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to see this has happened to your son @Regan55. So we can investigate this, please ask him to contact us using the link in the private message I've just sent.

Vodafone have investigated, and closed investigations 

As much use as a chocolate ashtray, and totally disgusting., and will be taken further

BandOfBrothers

One of the processes is that Vodafone send a text to the original SIM card and number and then that code is used to progress the SIM swap. 

That is if the SIM can recieve texts in the first place. If not then a person would need to get through security protocols but if an unscrupulous person has managed to acrue enough ID then yes it can happen. These people are expert in identity theft which we hear about and just doesn't include mobile phone contracts but as your aware banks have been duped and that's the reason they your bank have a fraud department and if an investigation supports fraud then they'll typically return the funds. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

How can Vodafone open and shut the investigation so quickly, involving such an amount.

I asked them if they get involved with the banks fraud dept.......apparently not.

It really smacks of a cover up

jeffkinn

Why would you expect Vodafone and a bank to work together?  They are wholly unrelated organisations and there is no way a bank would allow a third party company to become involved in an investigation. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Fraud departments work together..........this is a major fraud for God’s sake.

This fraud could not have been done without the other.

jeffkinn
Your evidence for that co-operation is what may I ask? How much are we talking about?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png