Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Starting new plan but keeping number

Otuama34
4: Newbie

Hi.

I want to get a new phone but keep the costs down as much as possible.

Upgrading through Vodafone is so expensive. 

So, I'm looking at creating a new plan through Carphone Warehouse.

Vodafone upgrade = £59.40/mth

Carphone Warehouse (UPGRADE) = 50/mth

Carphone Warehouse (NEW PLAN) = 43/mth

I've been with Vodafone for about 10,000 years I was given an insulting £2 off the upgrade amount.  

My question is this:

How can I create a new Vodafone plan through Carphone Warehouse and keep my existing number?

I've read that I need to:

1: Create a cheap PAYG account with another provider

2: Give them a PAC code

3: Get a PAC code from the other provider

4: Create a new plan with Vodafone

5: Give them that PAC code

Really, that sounds like so much faffing around.  Surely there's an easier way.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Otuama34 

A person is in a stronger negotiations state when the contract is at the actual end of the contractual term and not at any early upgrade stage.

Ringing 191 and choosing the Thinking of Leaving option usually get a person through to the retentions department.

Moving old vodafone number onto new Vodafone Contract.

Credits to AnnS.

There are two ways this can be done.

1.  Cancel the old contract and ask for the number to be moved to PAYG.  The number will be scheduled to move to PAYG after 30 days.  

You will then receive a new PAYG SIM card to activate and top up a small amount to get it active on the network.  You will then be able to transfer the number to the new contract.

2.  Ask Vodafone for a PAC code, move the old number to an alternative network, use the SIM as PAYG on the other network and ask for a PAC code to move the number onto the new contract.

If your original contract near it’s end date ? If not then actioning the above would end it and invoke any relavent early termination fee. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the reply

My contract ended at the beginning of the month.  I was surprised that retentions wouldn't give me any good deals.  Years ago, I'd get great deals.   

Option 2 seems the best one.  I need this number for work.  I already have a PAC code from Vodafone.

Crazy that it takes 30 days to transfer a number from Vodafone to Vodafone but it seems like it'd be very quick between different providers.

AnnS

Definitely @Otuama34 

Please see here: Cancel Account 

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Otuama34 

You would think after being presented with a deal another independent is offering Vodafone would match but the independent does not have the overhead costs of running a Network and typically give some of the kick back they get for opening an account from the network back to the customer.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Would one of you mind putting down the steps in order for me..... With approx time frames of how long things will take?

Just so I'm sure about the process, have little interruption and don't screw things up.

Is this process (option 2) proven to work?

I'm not sure if I can get the Galaxy S20 on Carphone Warehouse now or if I need to do things beforehand

Thanks again

Set up a Payg account with an alternative Network first. Use it to activate it.

i.e top up and make a call etc to Get it all set up and running.

Then ask Vodafone for a Pac for your current contract.

Give that Pac to the new network straightaway to move your Vodafone mobile number to the alternative Payg contract.

You'll need to check with the alternative Network about their process.

Wait until everything moves overwhich is usually a weekday as porting does not happen on a weekend.

The Vodafone Contract ends automatically and then Vodafone can take 2-4 weeks to produce and take the final bill so please do not cancel your Direct Debit.

A Pac itself lasts 30 days.

Take out your new Vodafone contract through CPW and wait until CPW pass on all the details of the new contract to Vodafone and ensure its all set up and working.

We've seen in the past that CPW can be a little slow in getting things set up.

When your confident it is then ask the other network your number you want is with on Payg for a Pac and give that to Vodafone and tell Vodafone you want to replace your current number with your original number.

my-vodafone-account/keep-my-number. 

It all should work OK as long as the porting does not Split Port which is where not all the porting files properly complete which can delay things.

This happens very occasionally.

My personal option would be to pursue the  Vodafone Retentions Department for a better deal if only on Sim Only as these can be better priced although i appreciate you want a Samsung phone to then not need to go through these hoops.

Then buy the Samsung Phone Sim free if disposable income allows.

Of course its up to you.

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Me again.

I thought I'd give retentions another try.

Then remembered that I got a number when I received my PAC code

Rang that and got straight through.

It went better than I thought.

Within 15 mins I was offered a S20 Plus for the price of the S20 on new plan from CPW

I'm getting a £200 Galaxy Watch Active for free.......and keeping my number

I'm a happy boy.

BandOfBrothers

That's awesome news @Otuama34 

I hope you didn't mind me suggesting to try the Vodafone Retentions Department again.

The number via  the Pac is still them AFAIK.

Sometimes if a person doesn't get the answer wanted at first it can occasionally pay to ask again !!  :Winking_smiley:

I'm glad that's the case for you.

Nice choice of phone too and your not having to jump through all the hoops to circumvent things.

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Yeah, ta

I asked what department he was and he said offers or something.

Will ring that number from now on :Winking_smiley: