Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Suspend number while abroad

billmoz
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My pay monthly contract finishes in september,  i am moving to Australia for two years in august. What is the best way to keep my uk phone number and minimise my costs while im away? Can the number be suspended for two years ? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Getafix
16: Advanced member

Just call Vodafone and ask fro the PAC. And then transfer your Number to another Network as PAYG.

You can do that immediately or just a few days before you leave for Australia.

With O2 I know that once you top up you have 999 days Validity  without any further top up. All you have to do is send a text once in every 180 days. Ideally set a reminder every 150 days incase you are late. And you can do this while overseas.

When you ask for PAC, tell them taht all you are doing is moving it to PAYG as you are going to be overseas most of the year. If not for 30 days you would have been happy to move to Vodafone PAYG.

donnyguy

I think Getafix has given you the best answer here. By calling and gettig your PAC code, you can actually move the number to a PAYG sim (on a different network) in one working day. 

He's also provided some good information on what to say to the agent when calling for your code as porting to another network maybe wasn't on your list (but if you do want to be on VF PAYG and they're not playing ball, port out to another network, then port back in again)

The brilliant thing about PAYG in this country is that there is no minimum top up requirement. You just need some activity on there every 6 months. So stick the sim card in your phone and make a call (if you were on Vodafone PAYG then you're looking at 60p fror a 1 min call). But in the grand scheme of things, using up £2,40 of calling credit over two years in order to keep your number isn't bad at all.

I'd just recommend turning off your voicemail before you leave for Australia so no-one can leave you messages. Good luck in Australia. 

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Another option could be to change ownership of the contract. 

The new owner then could keep the number live. 

Transfer-of-ownership <> Can-I-transfer-my-number-and-contract-to-someone-else.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.