main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay monthly

Switching from Pay Monthly to PAYG

SOLVED
View solved solution
10: Established

Hi, I'm moving from contract to PAYG in July, but I just got a worrying text message. It says:

>Hello. We're very sorry to hear you're planning on leaving us. As requested, we'll disconnect the number 44XXXXXXXXXXX on 12/Jul/2019 00:00:00 and text a reminder on the day. You'll be billed as normal until then, and you'll see any credit on your final bill. Finally, if there's anything we can do to keep you, please get in touch for a chat about your options.

Should I be worried that it says "disconnect"?

Also, retentions told me I won't need a new sim, but some on the forum say they've been sent a new sim when moving from pay monthly to PAYG. I'll be out of the country on the transfer date, so I want to make sure I'll be on the same sim. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this post any use? If so, be amazing and press the little star under my name

If I've solved your problem, please click 'solved' to send me some love!
View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for getting in touch @urban469, I'm really sorry for any confusion that's been caused. When you move from a Pay Monthly contract to Pay as you go, you won't need a new SIM. Your current one will be moved from contract to Pay as you go and you won't need to do anything. 

I'm glad Abul has double checked that your numbers not going to be disconnected, it's nice to have some peace of mind 😊

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to get back in touch and I'll be happy to clear things up for you. 

View more options
23 REPLIES 23
17: Community Champion

I can well understand that the wording "disconnect" would make anyone sit up and take notice. 

For peace of mind I would suggest to phone Vodafone support on 191 and they'll double check and confirm what's going to happen.

As no one here has account access I wouldn't want to suggest it's just a term Vodafone use when switching your number from Pay monthly to Payg. Better being safe than sorry.

Usually to stop any Early Termination Fees they carry out this process at the end of your contract term and the process usually takes 30 days. Itvfakes place before the actual end date so your mobile number isn't lost.

Some have been able to just carry on using their current sim as its typically an online change and new settings are sent to change the internet settings in your phone from monthly to Payg apns.

This can be also performed by texting WEB to 40127 or manually change the apns in your phone which are in How-to-manually-enter-vodafone-apn-settings.

One option could be to pop into a Vodafone Highstreet Store and ask them to sim swap your info to a new sim card if necessary if your current sim stops and you get a no service showing in your phones status bar.

The Payg sim they should have sent you will activate once you pop it in and typically top up.

A sim swap if necessary which takes around 10 minutes to complete.

However if the network is busy this can be occasionally longer.

When a change like this is happening it's best to be in the UK.

Terms-and-conditions > Moving-from-pay-monthly-to-pay-as-you-go.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thanks for the reply it would be great if someone from Vodafone on here could double check my account to make sure it's not being "disconnected". And to ensure that I'll be on the same sim. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View more options

You're very welcome @urban469 

As I said we Members can give you our advice here but it's best to speak with Vodafone for account access.

However there is no account access now from the forum via the Vodafone Social Media Teams here.

However the same times via Vodafone Facebook and Vodafone Twitter which are the official pages can assist as well as customer service on 191.

My apologies at having to send you elsewhere to engage with Vodafone UK as I appreciate you came here , signed up and created a post to reach out for help but the Team here can no longer help with Account based issues.

But it's the same Social Media Teams here that help and assist via Facebook and Twitter.

Things have changed as they have decided that help and assistance with account based issues would be best supported that way.

I appreciate not everyone wants to use Social Media however it takes but a few moments to create a Twitter or Facebook account and then can be forgotten if necessary. Just a thought.

Please remember to include the link to your forum post, along with your username.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @urban469 

You won't be able to use the same SIM.  Moving form pay monthly to PAYG takes 30 days to complete after which time the pay monthly SIM will be disconnected and Vodafone will send a new PAYG SIM to the address registered to the account in the UK.

The problem will be if you are going to be out of the country at the time the SIM is sent, it would be an idea to ask a family member or friend to make the first chargeable call to fully activate the SIM in the UK, the SIM can then be sent to your location.

It would also be worth remembering roaming is only for short term periodic travel and not for long term use and you may well receive a text message form Vodafone asking you to moderate your roaming use.

If you are using a Vodafone branded phone, you will only need to change the APN from pay monthly to prepaid for your internet connection.

If your phone is locked, you need to get the unlocking completed before you leave the UK, this will enable you to use a local SIM when you are out of the country.

Hope that answers your questions but if you have any further questions, live chat or CS will help.

View more options

Are you very sure about the change of sim? Because two different retentions staff (who checked with a manager) said it would be on the same sim.  

And yes, thanks for the roaming warning. I'm actually using a non-UK sim as well. 

View more options

Hi @urban469 

I am absolutely sure that Vodafone will send a new PAYG after the pay monthly has been disconnected.

To add to this when you do a SIM swap you need to make sure you get the correct SIM, you can't transfer a pay monthly number to a PAYG SIM card or a PAYG number to a pay monthly SIM.

The Team will pick up this thread and make sure you have the correct information. confirmed for you.

View more options

It's strange because two different managers in retentions said the opposite...

View more options

Hi @urban469 

It used to be possible to use the same SIM when switching to PAYG on the old system.  It is not possible on the new system.

When you change from pay monthly to PAYG, it will be a new PAYG SIM and this SIM will be sent to the UK address used on the pay monthly account.

Yes, I am completely sure.

View more options

@urban469 wrote:

It's strange because two different managers in retentions said the opposite...

We are customers like you @urban469 

As I said I've seen the situation where a person has used the same sim when going from pay monthly to Payg.

It's a different situation when going from Payg to Pay Monthly as then a new sim is needed. 

Again do please check with Vodafone customer services for official clarification  

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

I really appreciate your advice @bandofbrothers @anns. Yes I know you're both just customers, I've been using the forum for years (and tried to help others ).

It's just that @anns seems more knowledgable than the two managers who told me the opposite, so I'm worried that Vodafone CS aren't telling the truth. 

It's disappointing that the eforum team isn't on here any more. They were awesome. I've sent them a DM on Twitter and I'll let you know what they say. 

View more options

The Vodafone Social Media Teams are still here on the forum to answer general questions @urban469 

It's queries that require account access that are no longer answered via the forum.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

Hi @urban469 

Moving from pay monthly to PAYG was something discussed at length on the forum.  Unfortunately, a lot of non current threads have been archived and I can't find the thread I was looking for.

I am more than sure that you will need a new SIM card for PAYG when the pay monthly account has been disconnected from the system.  

As your pay monthly will be disconnected, don't forget you will have two further bills, if you are at the end of agreement you should also receive a credit for line rental paid in advance which is nice to see in your bank account. There is further information on this here:  Final Bill 

Speak soon.

View more options

Thanks @anns, I really appreciate it

View more options

Hi @urban469 

I have just spent an hour going through some archived threads and guess what ! I found the thread.

Unless the procedure has changed at Vodafone but not something I am aware of, I am definitely correct, when you move from contract to PAYG, for the procedure to go smoothly the pay monthly SIM will be disconnected at 30 days and a new replacement SIM with the number on PAYG will automatically be sent to the address registered to the account.  

According to this link :Moving from Pay monthly to Pay as you go

Vodafone will give you £10.00 credit when moving to PAYG and this will certainly start you on PAYG.

You will probably get a reply from a member of the Team confirming the procedure, it should also be possible to look at your account and confirm the account has been passed to PAYG.

Speak soon again.

View more options

We have a reply from Vodafone on Twitter:1CA936C9-B9FF-4AC7-A6D6-E1707335FD86.jpeg

View more options

Until a member of the Vodafone Social Media Team here authorises your attachment we can't see it @urban469 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

😢 ok copying and pasting:

Thanks for passing the security XXXX. I can confirm your number will go to Pay as you go and will not be disconnected. The notification you've received is an automated alert whenever we process 30 days notice. I'm sorry about that. You don't need a new SIM card, your current SIM will just switch to Pay as you go automatically. Please make sure you restart your phone on migration date.

Please let me know if there's anything less you'd like me to check 😊 Abul

View more options

Hi @urban469

Until moderated we can't see the reply. 

Would it be possible for you to give a brief explanation of the reply?

I would like to know if I have given a correct answer. 

View more options

Things have changed. Didn't know. The most important thing is for you to have the correct information. 

View more options