Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text Message from 'Vodafone' - Unable to Process Payment

emmablue29
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I received a text message the day before my Pay Monthly DD was due to go out: 

[VODAFONE]: We are unable to process your latest payment. In order to avoid fees, please update your information via: (link to a website). 

This text came from a mobile number: 07985456797

I'm fairly confident it is a scam... but coincidently my DD has not gone out of my bank even though it is due. I have logged into my Vodafone account and it says my bill is 'paid' but again, still waiting for money to leave my bank. 

Has anyone else ever received similar text or perhaps can advise that it is actually genuine? I don't want to receive missed payment mark on my account! I have reported it to the Vodafone scam text service (7726).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @emmablue29 

If you enter the number on this link :Is Vodafone calling? you will see that this is not a Vodafone number.

Definitely phishing and a scam.

As far as your direct debit it is concerned it will be collected on the day it is due or just after and you will probably find it is claimed by Vodafone at midnight tonight.

Any problems for account access speak to the Social Team through Twitter or Facebook here: Contact Us 

View solution in original position

15 REPLIES 15

AnnS

Hi @emmablue29 

If you enter the number on this link :Is Vodafone calling? you will see that this is not a Vodafone number.

Definitely phishing and a scam.

As far as your direct debit it is concerned it will be collected on the day it is due or just after and you will probably find it is claimed by Vodafone at midnight tonight.

Any problems for account access speak to the Social Team through Twitter or Facebook here: Contact Us 

I also received this message - weirdly though my DD had actually failed to go through this month - the first time it had ever happened, so it feels concerning that it was such a coincidence and that the spammer knew that my payment had failed?

It is definitely spam though as you can enter any email/password combination and it will take you through the steps

I strongly suspect that someone at Vodafone is involved in this. 

I have been a customer for many years on PAYG. On 17th March I upgraded to Pay Monthly and set up direct debit. On 30th March I received the scam message,. 

Is this just a coincidence???

This is a very serious question. Has anyone got an answer?

I suspect that my phone has been hacked but when I phone 191 there is no option for this issue.

hrym

If the message is indeed spam, it's much more likely that it's simply been sent to random numbers to see who bites.   Never click in a link in a text, but go to your online account independently and check the status.   Alternatively, Customer Services will be able to confirm for you.

I have received this as as well twice today from different numbers and and share a suspicion that somebody from Vodafone is involved. I migrated away from Vodafone home broadband a couple weeks ago and the final bill was paid on the 8th of April by direct debit.

The text says they are unable to collect money and asks me to input my bank details, but nothing shows up as owing in my online account and I hadn't cancelled the direct debit. The payments typically went out around the 5th of every month, so I find the timing of these texts curious.

Needless to say I haven't clicked on the links or handed over any details. If Vodafone wants any details on these texts feel free to contact me. BTW The automated chatbot on the site is completely hopeless. 

I'm sure that there is someone at Vodafone passing tips to these scammers about customer activity.

Soon after I  changed to pay monthly I received the scam text message, as if someone at Vodafone passed on the information.

Nobody is interested in looking into this.

The scam text was sent from ##~## on 30th March.

I asked at the local Vodafone shop if the number could be traced. They said they would need Police authorisation to do so.

As this is known that these messages are fraudulent, had Vodafone made any attempt to have them traced?

In desperation I wrote to the Vodafone head office in Newbury by recorded post but have had no response.

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information, please see Community Guidelines]

There is no point tracing them. The number is spoofed, and if valid will belong to an innocent person who will now be harassed by people calling and texting wondering why they sent a text, when they didn't.

There is nothing Vodafone can currently do.