Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text Message received different to what has been sent

Skaman
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have an issue with one person that I text a lot, they receive a different message than I send, the message always starts off right but part of the text is then replaced by part of a previous message (sometimes from quite some time ago) that I have sent to them, this has been happening intetmittently for a while but seems to be happening more often. Obviously I'm on Vodafone, the recipient is on Plusnet (EE) we are both using Xiaomi Android phones....help before they receive something that's going to get me in trouble :Winking_smiley:

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Skaman

When the other person sends you a text how does that come out ?

The network does not retain text content so I can't see it being there servers. 

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in another phone and try texting again.

Of course it could be the other network too.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I never have a problem receiving texts from them.

The problem with trying another phone is how intermittent it is, using yesterday as an example I sent 18 texts before it happened and it doesn't happen every day although it is getting more often, seems to be every 2/3 days.

Interesting that texts aren't retained as I wondered whether this was the issue as it is always part of a previous message that is added to the new message so it is somehow picking that up from somewhere?

AnnS

Hi @Skaman

The issue here is going to be with the receivers SMS application, I have just found this article which may help.

Corrupted SMS on Android

It may also be down to the receivers SIM and a  new SIM may sort out the problem.  Most probably the receiver has more than necessary SMS messages stored on the conversation and a clear out of SMS messages would solve the problem.

Thanks @AnnS 

Their phone is only about a month old and they didn't back up the previous sms thread and reisntall it on the new device so they shouldn't have loads of new texts on the new phone, the article is really useful though so I'll get them to try the oprphaned texts app to see if this helps.

AnnS

Hi @Skaman

This sounds more like a SIM corruption issue, the SIM is not recognising the time the SMS was sent and is mixing the messages, especially if this is a newish phone and the same SIM is being used as in the previous phone, a replacement SIM may be all that will be necessary and hopefully problem solved.

If there is still an issue it might be worth the person you are sending the messages to having a word with their provider.

Thanks, I'll get them to get a new sim as well as it can't do any harm.

AnnS

Hi @Skaman

It certainly won't do any harm getting a replacement SIM, at least then any SIM issue will be eliminated and will be able to take it from there.

Fingers crossed for you both.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Skaman

Vodafone know a text has been sent and is logged however they don't retain the content.

As I said it could be the other persons phone , sim or account too.

Sounds like a glitch to me and not easy to pin point what's happened.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.