Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Texting abroad

tjsdp
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, just a very quick question as I am having trouble understanding my bill, and even though I spoke to Customer Services it didn’t really help. All I want to know is, when you are on a Pay Monthly plan, how much does it cost to send one text from the UK to the USA? Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Are you texting another Uk number ?

If so then it'll come out of your texting bundle. 

If its an American mobile number then look at > Vodafone and abroad. 

Screenshot_20171122-144241.jpg

Vodafone terms-and-conditions.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @tjsdp

If you are texting from the UK to an overseas mobile number, (not an (07 +44 UK number where it will come out of your UK allowance) the text will cost 35p.  There is further information for you below.  If you are going to be calling or texting overseas numbers on a regular basis, you will find details of extras on the link.

How much does it cost to call and text abroad from the UK?

If you need help understanding your bill, live chat will be able to go through the bill with you and explain any unclear charges.

Many thanks to both of you. My bill charged a total of £1.40 for my message to the USA and it stated I had sent 4 texts there, which would tie in with the 35p per text that you’ve quoted. But, I only sent ONE text and so feel I have been overcharged. When I spoke to Vodafone he originally said texts were 35p each, but when I quoted my bill to him, he then said it was £1.40 per text which I thought seemed expensive, and left me totally confused... Maybe I need to speak to them again?

BandOfBrothers

You’re welcome. 

Maybe if it was a long text or had emoticons added it could have sent the text in separate ones. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @tjsdp

I am glad the information I gave for calling and texting abroad from the UK helped and confirmed the 35p per message charge.

The only thing I can think with you only sending one message, it was somehow received four times or in parts on the USA network incurring the £1.40 charge.  If you are able to, it might be worth asking your US receiver if the message was received more than once.

Thank you again; you have both been very helpful. I had a live chat with Vodafone today and they explained that the problem was my text was over 200 characters. I think they said that under 160 characters counts as one text, up to 180 counts as two, and over 200 characters counts as 4 texts - does that sound right? I was going to make a note of it but the Live Chat window disappeared before I could write it down (I’ve never used it before) ☹️

AnnS

Hi @tjsdp

With the message being over the maximum number of characters, it sounds right.  Probably the receiver received the text in parts or as a long message.

At least your question has been clarified.  If you need any further help, please come back to the forum.

BandOfBrothers

@tjsdp wrote:

Thank you again; you have both been very helpful. I had a live chat with Vodafone today and they explained that the problem was my text was over 200 characters. I think they said that under 160 characters counts as one text, up to 180 counts as two, and over 200 characters counts as 4 texts - does that sound right? I was going to make a note of it but the Live Chat window disappeared before I could write it down (I’ve never used it before) ☹️

Yes @tjsdp which is why I suggested that maybe the case in my earlier reply. 

At least you have peace of mind on what’s happened and gained some useful knowledge on the subject. 

:Smiling:

Current Phone  >