Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Traceroute not working

Steve82639
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all

i recently joined Vodafone on a Red Entertainment plan using WAP apn. 

I noticed that traceroutes on Vodafone are stopping after the second internal IP (192.168.213.22) but from a quick look online I can see many users successfully tracerouting beyond that Ip (see attached image). 

Is there anything I can do as I always use it to debug some network issues with connectivity at work. 

Thanks

steve

5 REPLIES 5

Makelo
12: Established
12: Established

As you have identified that's an internal network and that's where the block is,

If you want to tracert Vodafone's network turn off Wi-Fi.

If it's your work network you want to tracert then you'll need to speak to your network admin. There could be whole variety of reasons as to why (load balanced network for example) and only they will know.

PS, Unless you are the admin, why do you want to tracert a work network?

Well,

first of of all I attached a screenshot, thought you had a look before answering. 

Traceroute is stopping at the second hop within Vodafone network, not in my private network or my work network. 

Please check the attachment to the first message. 

Tracerouting on Vodafone network stops after two hops, showing internal IPs. 

Of course I switched off the WiFi network, I know a bit what I am doing here :Smiling:

As to why I need it, I am not going into details bit our provider at work has some routing issues and I am trying to get some details on it to feed back to them. 

Steve

No worries, I was only being nosy.

I did look at the screenshot, two hops on an internal network only. To me it says your signal 'never left the building' if you know what I mean but I take on board your comments and so take your word that it did in fact 'leave the building'

I therefore didn't understand how you got an internal IP as your first hop, I would have thought that at least the first hop would be a routable public IP, even then you usually don't see internal IP's as it's routed through their network. The only thing I can think of is that Vodafone's 4G is provided through CGNAT, it would at least explain the internal IP as a first hop.

If your traceroute is failing because Vodafone are using CGNAT then only someone at Vodafone knows why it's happening and could help to fix it, but this is network administrator level stuff. It could be deliberate or just a consequence of the network setup.

You could try and ask for help but I think you may struggle.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It's quite normal for some routers to not respond to ping or traceroute. On my test hop 4 and 5 didn't respond but 6 onwards does.

Have you got content filtering or anything on your account? Wonder if Vodafone snooping on your packets is affecting it?

@chistery wrote:

Have you got content filtering or anything on your account? Wonder if Vodafone snooping on your packets is affecting it?

Bear in mind everything is passed through the sniffer, it makes no difference whether it's turned on or off.